Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 09-02-2016, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy View Post
German pasty with cabbage, onions, long simmered roast with allspice, wrapped in a onion yeast dough, then baked, good hot or cold.
Could you post the actual recipe here on with the RECIPES? This sounds delicious.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:28 PM

Judy must be trying to hurry Sept. along, already. The mystery is supposed to start on the 10th, or has it changed?? Judy, enlighten us...please.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:13 PM

put haha because Mapleton is a podunk town of maybe 750, no train station(we do have our own P.O.) .
Bedock doesn't really have a recipe it was my German Grandma's dish. She didn't make it very often, because of the time involved, she taught the GDs to make it.About a 2lb roast covered with water, allspice added(maybe 2Tbsp) covered with a lid and let to slowly simmer til fall apart tender. take out of water(forgot, you have to keep checking the water to make sure it stays above roast). shred, in large stew pot add roast little of the juice to keep it from burning add 2-21/2 medium heads of cabbage finely shredded like coleslaw 3 medium onions little garlic and salt to taste also add allspice(so much is done by taste and smell) maybe 1-11/2 tsp.let simmer until cabbage is very tender.Last 2 hrs of cooking start bread from scratch, sorry can't find my bread recipe. Yopu can use any basic white recipe, in the first stages add to hot water(the amt. you use in the recipe(can do it in the milk also) 2 pkgs Lipton onion soup mix) not how Gram would do it, but it works, let the mixture cool off and into 6-8 inch squares put 1/2 cup meat mixture into middle of square, bring in corners to meet in the middle and crimp off to close package, put on sprayed cookie sheet, let rise, then eggwash, bake in 400 degree oven, until golden brown. They are so good. I like them even better cold. Some people make a gravy out of the simmer juice, and dip them. Remember to drain the mixture well so they aren't soggy.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew View Post
Judy must be trying to hurry Sept. along, already. The mystery is supposed to start on the 10th, or has it changed?? Judy, enlighten us...please.
I got a message from Judy saying she made a mistake in her post and its still scheduled to start on the 10th!

OKG Kwiltkrazy that sounds fabulous! Thanks for the recipe. Sort of little meat pies! Bet they would be good with sour cream, too. I'm Irish and German and my dad used to make chopped, boiled cabbage with beaf and little new red pototoes. Haven't had that in years! Yum.

Last edited by Just Jan; 09-02-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:57 PM

Makes you hungry for a family reunion.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:35 AM

I use to make those a lot when my boys were growing up. They loved them, could just grab and go I've never made them with a roast though, always used ground beef. Hmmm, I've got some pulled pork left in the frig, bet that would work too.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:41 AM

Jaba Just in case you haven't heard yet, you are becoming a Snowbird. That's our name for our friends who fly south for the winter then return home in the spring. Always reminds me of the song by Anne Murray. LOL
Old 09-03-2016, 06:56 AM

Works for me Just Jan! Those birds are pretty smart getting out of the cold....After living through 70 cold winter's I'm treating myself Can't wait!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
I use to make those a lot when my boys were growing up. They loved them, could just grab and go I've never made them with a roast though, always used ground beef. Hmmm, I've got some pulled pork left in the frig, bet that would work too.
So are you saying you boil the ground beef and cabbage together with the onions and spices? Oh my, this sounds soooo good! Wonder if I could use the little triangle shaped tube bisquilts? I live alone and I'm thinking it would be so much easier. What do you think?
Old 09-03-2016, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Works for me Just Jan! Those birds are pretty smart getting out of the cold....After living through 70 cold winter's I'm treating myself Can't wait!
Don't forget to pack sunscreen and bug spray! lol