Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Any hope for replacing broken metal spool pins? >

Any hope for replacing broken metal spool pins?

Any hope for replacing broken metal spool pins?

Old 09-09-2016, 05:47 AM

Default Any hope for replacing broken metal spool pins?

Have an old Kenmore that has metal spool pins broken off at the machine surface. Anybody have any luck replacing those attractively?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:02 AM

I would suggest taking it to your sewing machine repair shop. He should have the tools necessary to get the broken piece out & replaced. My DH had something similar happen to his tractor where a bolt broke off at the base & the tractor repair shop had to drill into the broken bolt & somehow they were able to unscrew it & replace it with a new one. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:49 AM

You can buy new spool pins online for a very reasonable price (just a couple bucks). Getting the old ones out might be tough, though, if there's nothing exposed to get a grip on.

Does the top come off of the machine? You might be able to poke the broken pin out from the back. If not, it can probably be drilled out.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:51 AM

What model is your Kenmore? Perhaps someone on here has worked on that model and knows more.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:05 AM

There are replacement spool pins for most old sewing machines. The problem is to identify which type it takes. Some are threaded, some you just hammer in very lightly. I could not use the spool pins I bought for my 201, they were generic replacements for lots of brands, old and new. I had luck when I bought two used pins from another old cast iron Singer. I'm sure you will get the remains of the old one out :- )
Old 09-09-2016, 01:29 PM

To remove the broken off pins, using a small drill bit, drill out the old ones. You may be able to screw out the remnants of the old ones or you may be pick out the remnants if they are drive-in types. Take your time and good luck.

John Thomas in NC
Old 09-11-2016, 07:35 AM

I have to agree with Osewme take it to the repair shop.I now have a rod in a board that slides under the machine because I tried to drill it out myself. Who knew drilling out a broken motor mount on a pick-up would be easier than a spool peg?