Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heavy duty sewing machine. >

Heavy duty sewing machine.

Heavy duty sewing machine.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:42 AM

The fabric I use is about twice as thick as quilting fabric. It is not so much that my Singer cannot get through 8 layers it is that it struggles. I love this machine for all other sewing and quilting projects. To answer your question, I am making the bionic gear bag (utube). But I also love oilcloth and laminated cotton projects. Yesterday I was using size 18 then 20 needles. Still had problems but fewer. I will diffidently give some thought to your suggestion of an ordinary machine
Old 09-11-2016, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
As others have said - how "heavy duty" do you require
Do you consider "quilting cotton? to be a medium weight fabric?
I like to use fabric that is about twice as thick as quilting fabric. I
Old 09-11-2016, 10:58 AM

I saw and wondered about the Toyota. It has really good reviews. The one on Amazon is in the Prime system also. Which means I could try it out and see if it meets my needs. Price is great

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
A lot of the sellers on ebay claim that their machines are heavy duty, even though they're not. But heavy duty machines are usually required only for sewing on leather, canvas, or something similar.

Out of curiosity, I just made a sandwich of 8 layers of quilting cotton and tried sewing through it on my Bernina 440. No problem. So I folded it over - 16 layers - and still no problem. So I folded it again - 32 layers - and still no problem. I might try folding it again, but I can't, and even if I could it wouldn't fit under the foot. So my advice would be first to try an "ordinary" machine.

BTW, what are you making?
Old 09-11-2016, 01:17 PM

I have done a BGB on my low end brother,maybe you are using the wrong type of needle for the project. You should not need a heavy duty machine for that project
Old 09-11-2016, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I have done a BGB on my low end brother,maybe you are using the wrong type of needle for the project. You should not need a heavy duty machine for that project
Good for you but as I stated earlier the fabric is mid weight and the needles are the only ones that would even begin to penetrate all the layers. 5 of us are making them. The 3 that have heavy weight machines are having a much much easier time.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:58 PM

I would go with the Pfaff 130 for what you describe. When I bought a Pfaff 30, I kept trying to google information about it and would come up with info on the 130 instead. At that time there was a blog for a man who dealt in the 130 and was well known for his advice. I have seen advertisements for the 130 indicating it was good for use in a shoe repair shop. To me the Pfaff 30 is not much different than the Singer 185J, and I thought the 130 was just a bit more souped-up. Some of those old Kenmore sewing machines are very powerful.

I am thinking that I have seen something on here about "quiltedsunshine" working in a sewing machine repair shop, seems that would qualify her as knowledgeable regarding powerful machines.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:55 PM

I have a Juki and it will sew through almost anything. It is a straight stitch machine and is all metal. My Kenmore made by Janome is not nearly as tough. It struggles with denim, for example, hemming a pair of jeans is hard to do on the Kenmore.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:56 PM

I have a Singer 403-A, and it is a very powerful machine. I've sewed some pretty thick items with it, including quilting some table runners, etc. I also have a Singer 201-2, and it's a winner. I made a tote bag for my cousin, using cotton twill, plus batting, plus another cotton twill, quilted, and then lined it with quilting cotton. I put a zipper to close the bag, and then did a decorative stitch to set the zipper down about 3/4" from the top. I broke 3 needles doing that top stitching on my Singer 328, but that was more operator problem! LOL!

By the way, make sure you're not using ball point needles -- those don't work very well for cotton fabric, particularly heavy weight cotton fabrics.

Jeanette

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 09-11-2016 at 10:57 PM. Reason: additional content
Old 09-11-2016, 11:17 PM

I have a Singer 301, which will sew through things that give my other machines a hissy fit. As long as you're strong enough to lift it, or have someone else in the house who can!
Old 09-12-2016, 03:14 AM

Take a look at the Toyota Super Jeans model. Vince Arcuri did a youtube review about this machine. There are a few other youtube videos showing what the super jeans model does too.