Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Camper sewing areas >

Camper sewing areas

Camper sewing areas

Old 09-12-2016, 06:36 PM

Default Camper sewing areas

Do any of you have photos you could post of your sewing areas in your campers. We'll be spending the winters in our camper (33' 5th wheel). I'll be taking my machine, tools, and fabric to quilt, and would love to see how you have your space set up.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:59 PM

I'd be interested as well..
Kirsten
Old 09-12-2016, 07:07 PM

Following!
Old 09-12-2016, 07:53 PM

I don't have a picture, but I sew with my machine on the dining table and put the cutting board and iron up on the kitchen cabinet. I have to put everything away for the evening meal. If you have enough room, you can get one of those little folding tables that are about 16 inches across by 2 foot wide. With a couple of those you can make an L shape sewing/ironing area. If you are wintering where there is really pretty weather, you can take a 3 or 4 foot table outside and really enjoy some pretty weather.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:39 AM

Default tables

Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
Do any of you have photos you could post of your sewing areas in your campers. We'll be spending the winters in our camper (33' 5th wheel). I'll be taking my machine, tools, and fabric to quilt, and would love to see how you have your space set up.

I bought a folding table that has legs that can raise and lower as well as folding in half. I lowered it to its lowest setting and put it in front of the couch. I had to lean forward more than I liked but it kept me from sewing too long. Plus, if you have a chair instead of just a couch you could raise it a bit higher. I still use that table in front of my couch if I want to sew and watch tv, or just need an extra set up with a friend over. Best table ever.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:47 AM

I do the cutting at home, pack with pattern and xtra fabric (in case I need it) in a plastic bag. I only piece in the rv and finish when I get home again. Works for me.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:37 AM

I recently bought a vintage sewing table similar to the one in the picture. It fits under our table seating. We have a small portable table that came with the 5th wheel. If I put a pillow on it it works for a seat to sew at. I also only take piecing work...usually scrap piecing for a scrap quilt. I keep a small cutting/ironing pad there as well as a small iron. If we're only going for a few days I take hand work. I currently have a baby quilt ready for me to hand sew the binding on. I also take crochet w/me. I make hats for the homeless. The pattern doesn't really require any thinking and it's small so I don't have to worry about it dragging on the ground if I want to sit outside. Oh, and I also keep a small applique project there to work on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage sewing table.jpg
Views:	2261
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	558148  
Old 09-13-2016, 07:57 AM

I sew on the dining table; the ironing pad is on the stove top; the cutting board is on the end of the table. I keep my rulers etc in a plastic tub on the floor next to my chair. Many times I will use the laundry room table if I need to sandwich a larger project. And,I sew outside the trailer under the awning...fun!
Old 09-13-2016, 08:08 AM

No photos, sorry Jean, but our 5th wheel has the rear living room with a desk under the television so I can put the machine there. Just to the right of that is a kitchen counter that can be used for cutting/pressing. We are leaving soon for a 3 week trip so I will try to take a picture for you all.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 AM

I recently bought a 30ft motor home and I will make this my permanent home. I am in the process of redoing some of it's layout and have found quite a few good idea's on Pininterest on how to's on every thing about camper life and small living. There are some really great ideas for making an existing lay out work for us sewing nuts.These ideas have been very helpful. I'm working on the back half now and may redo the front half later. So far I've increased my storage area by 25% -more room for fabrics. Parting with things hasn't been to hard but parting with fabrics is proving to be a heart breaking challenge