Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question on marking quilt >

question on marking quilt

question on marking quilt

Old 09-14-2016, 05:16 AM

Exclamation question on marking quilt

Hi, I am trying to learn free motion quilting and I am looking for some type of pen
or marker where I can draw designs on fabric to stitch over. I would like to know what
would be a good buy, something that will disappear or iron out after I'm done stitching.
Thanks for any help. I tried a Dritz pen but it doesn't work good on fabric.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:03 AM

The blue washable markers are good. Also there is a white, for use on dark fabric, but it has to dry before you see the line. I like to use chalk. I found that my brain has to think of the design in order to make it work so I usually don't mark and practice on trial sandwiches of fabric and batting until I have learned the fmq motifs such as feathers, swirls etc. This just seems to stay in my brain better.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:15 AM

I draw on press and seal wrap. Then lay it on the my quilt sandwich. I then stitch over it. It peels off easily and does not mark up the quilt. I find that I can follow the lines easier. I have used the purple or blue marking pens/pencils that wash or iron out. They work also. I have a problem with chalk. It doesn't stick well enough for me.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Marian Schermerhorn View Post
I draw on press and seal wrap. Then lay it on the my quilt sandwich. I then stitch over it. It peels off easily and does not mark up the quilt. I find that I can follow the lines easier. I have used the purple or blue marking pens/pencils that wash or iron out. They work also. I have a problem with chalk. It doesn't stick well enough for me.
If you decide to try the press and seal make sure your pen markings are completely dry before stitching over them (ask me how I know).... and also keep the design quite open, if you try for small flower centres etc. it does make it difficult to get the teensy pieces of plastic removed.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I took a class from Jamie Wallen and he said that the blue washable markers and white chalk are the only things he uses. He went so far as to say they should stop inventing other markers, because they aren't needed as long as you have those two things.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

My favourite marking tool on medium to dark fabrics is WHITE school chalk. Never use coloured chalk as it is impossible to remove! I use a dry toothbrush to erase the lines and occasionally a damp cloth for stubborn spots. I use a makeup big pencil sharpener to get a nice point.[ATTACH=CONFIG]558236[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1389
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	558236  
Old 09-14-2016, 09:26 AM

Sue Nickels and her sister, Pat Holly, use silver quilt marking pencils. They showed us how the marks just wore off, could be mostly brushed off or erased with a white eraser. They both have done show winning quilts and have about 7 in the National Quilt Museum so it must work. Sue says she marks out her whole top before basting.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:38 AM

I use the blue water eraseable markers and just spritz them with a plant mister when I'm done. The lines just disappear.

Watson
Old 09-14-2016, 11:21 AM

I use both the blue water eraseable and also the purple air eraseable for light to med. light fabrics. The air eraseable can be erased with a spritz of water if it's taking too long to vanish. Do Not iron over either of them.

For medium darks and darks I usually use a sliver of soap Like ivory. It stays on well for the actual quilting but wears off easily enough that I've never had to do anything to remove it when I'm done. I have one of those vanishing white pens, but I don't like using it because it takes a while for the marks to show and sometimes they don't show up which means re- marking an area.

I also tend to mark as I go since I mainly mark when I'm doing ruler work. If I'm doing regular Fmq I don't do much marking at all.

rob
Old 09-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

I have this and use a stiff make up brush to clean as I go.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
My favourite marking tool on medium to dark fabrics is WHITE school chalk. Never use coloured chalk as it is impossible to remove! I use a dry toothbrush to erase the lines and occasionally a damp cloth for stubborn spots. I use a makeup big pencil sharpener to get a nice point.[ATTACH=CONFIG]558236[/ATTACH]