Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wavy border, to redo or not? >

Wavy border, to redo or not?

Wavy border, to redo or not?

Old 01-30-2010, 04:01 PM

Thank you all for your very nice comments and encouragement. I decided not to redo and began quilting it a few days ago. I'm actually glad I decided not to redo because one, I think the waves will quilt out for the most part and what doesn't quilt out will hopefully shrink up a bit in the wash. Two, I'm having issues with my new Bernina and the quilting at this point is less than perfect. I'm glad I didn't put all the extra work into redoing the borders only to end up with problem quilting. In the end it's going to be a decent quilt, but nothing spectacular. That's okay though, I accept that this was a huge learning experience and I'm glad I learned these lessons on a quilt for myself and not one that was intended as a gift. I'll get the kinks worked out of my machine with this quilt and be ready to go on my next one that is going to be a gift!

Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:03 PM

what problems are you having with your Bernina, I've got a 5 year old one?
Old 01-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

I love your quilt..waves or no waves. I think it will be gorgeous when you finish the quilting and wash it. I've had a couple that I thought were gonna wave, but after quilting and washing, they laid perfectly flat...so...it will all work out..you'll see!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:16 PM

I too have a compulsion for perfection, but I have learned quilting is soooo forgiving and more times than I can count a problem disappears after the quilt is finished. Each quilt is a learning experience and each is better than the ones before! Your quilt looks beautiful and was obviously a big effort, personally, I think the borders will be a little more wrinkled, but I'll bet it will look great! Please post a picture when it is finished. :)
Old 01-30-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I hate to admit it but I jumped into something (this time attaching a border) without researching how to best do it first. That is unlike me and I really don't know why I did it other than I guess I am anxious to finish this quilt. I did the 'ole measure one side, cut a piece, sew it on and then whack off the extra. Of course I ended up with waves in my borders. I spent quite a bit of time last night and this morning reading about the proper way to measure and attach a border. Here's my question; should I tear the borders off and redo them using better methods (I'd have to use the same material that is already there because I don't have enough to cut new borders with) or do I chalk this up to lesson learned and hope the waves "quilt out" some? The center and larger outside border will have stipple quilting done, the smaller inside border will just have 2 straight lines stiched 1/4" in from each seam.

There is a part of me that thinks with as much time as I've put into this quilt so far, I should go the little extra mile to take it apart and do it all right, but then there's that other part of me that wants to cry at the idea of being set back a few more days. That part of me has a little voice saying, "It'll be okay, once you get it all quilted the waviness will not show." I'm just not sure if that voice is lying. :)
rachelcb80,

If you take a GOOD look at the picture that you have on the board you will see that both boarders are wavy. Personally I would take it down to the top and redo both boarders. When you have it quilted it will look awful. Steaming it will only hide it. once it is washed bingo it will be a mess. Trust me you will be alot happier knowing that you did it right.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM

That little voice is lying to you!! It will not 'quilt out' and you will be unhappy with it and yourself for not doing it right. It is much to pretty not to do it well.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 PM

Once you wash and dry this quilt, you will be amazed at how good it will look.......much of the wavy will be taken up with the quilting..........and after the washing and drying, you will have a nice, comfortable, old-fashioned quilt that you will really enjoy!! I like your pinwheels!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:09 PM

Personally, I like the look, and if you can handle it, I wouldn't touch it. Tell everyone that this was the way you wanted it. To be honest, though, I would personally have trouble deciding as there was alot of work done on that quilt.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 PM

It is absolutely beautiful. I would just finish it, not tear it apart.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:24 PM

I'm amazed (and, if I'm honest, amused) by the number of "take it out and re-do" and "leave it in" responses.

I never measure my borders beyond making sure that they won't be too short. They are never wavy (none yet, anyway); I wonder why.