Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you sew/quilt every day? >

Do you sew/quilt every day?

Do you sew/quilt every day?

Old 09-20-2016, 05:40 AM

Well first congratulations on retirement, have a long way to go yet. I sew don't do much quilting but want to I come home from work take a hour to rest and clear my head, walk my dog then start sewing until about 9:00pm; then set up for the next day. Sometimes like yesterday I had terrible headache did not sew, you just have to find your groove once you do the sky the limit.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:21 AM

Kids are gone, Husband is on the road 2 weeks at a time, I work part time. Yes....every day!I clean the house the day before my husband comes home!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:24 AM

Put the word out that you could use some "donations" for charity work and before you know it, you'll probably have fabrics out your ears.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Now that I've returned to quilting, I find that I'm spending about 2-5 hours on five days a week at the machine or doing design work on the computer. I've discovered that the new office chair I bought when I moved from the farm a year+ ago is not so comfortable after all as I feel like the front edge of the seat is tilted lower than the back. It makes my back tired quickly as I brace myself to avoid sliding forward out of the seat. Not sure how I'll handle this as another chair purchase isn't in the budget. Thinking on it.

Jan in VA
I don't know what kind of office chair it is, but could you make a "wedge" cushion for the seat? Something "grippy" on the bottom side so it doesn't slip off. I don't like chairs that feel like they are tipping forward either.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:33 AM

I am not retired and don't sew every day, sometimes I don't sew for a couple of weeks....but do like to do "quilty" stuff every day....looking at patterns, visiting this site, going through my fabric. When I retire I like the idea of getting into a
"schedule" with sewing. For me, if I don't set things up, even loosely, I may not get to it. I like to feel productive, but if I happen upon a good movie on tv, or something else comes along, before I know it 2 hours is gone with nothing but a good movie under my belt. A schedule for me would at least help me to find a routine that worked.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:52 AM

I work full time and try to sew most days. Our kids are grown, but one of our grandsons (7 yrs old) is currently living with us. I come home from work, make dinner, get him set and then sew until 8pm. Usually an hour, hour and a half. On weekends, I sew until my husband gets up (I am a morning person and he is not). If we don't have any plans, I'll keep sewing. If I don't have a project in mind, I have a hard time getting started. I like to do projects from beginning to end (the finished project is my reward) so I have very few UFOs.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:58 AM

Sounds exactly like me!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I don't sew everyday. Am still working slowly rehabbing my sewing room. Can't help myself from going to the estate sales. Am doing some handwork, embroidery, needlepoint (from an estate sale). Got a very full fluffy skirt with layers of tulle and other ruffles. Roughly 40 feet of tulle. Have deconstructed it with the seamripper. Was therapeutic. So now I have more fabric I really didn't need. DH said I should've taken a pic. He's right but I wasn't thinking. I have some epp started. Lots started but nothing finished. I do it when ever.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:34 AM

I work full time and I sew/quilt at least 3 hours a day. It is the one thing that keeps me from going off the deep end. The creative side of me just loves to sew and make things.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:06 AM

I work full time and have a horse that I show, so I am pretty busy. Usually, I get up and sew between breakfast and work as I don't start until 10 am. Then I'll get a bit in before bed, if there is time. On my weekends off, I'll spend more time in my sewing room than usual, if I have a project on the go.

Watson