Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Advise >

Please Advise

Please Advise

Old 09-19-2016, 08:11 AM

At this point in my life, I say use it up and enjoy it. No one else will understand your particular love for that piece of fabric.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:22 AM
mac

I, too, like to pet my favorite fabric and am afraid of using it on the wrong project. But, tartan, you reminded me of a discussion that my mother and I had about twenty years ago.

While eating Sunday dinner at my mom's, I was looking at her China cabinet and all these beautiful dishes and tea cups that she gotten over the years. Many were wedding gifts that she had gotten over 60 years ago. I asked her why she never used them. Her reply was that she was afraid of them getting broken. I thought how sad, and replied to her, "But, mom, I'll just love using them when you are gone; so thanks for taking such good care of them for me." Well, my answer gave her just the impetus she needed to start using them. The next Sunday, we had a beautiful setting of dishes and afterwards we had a lovely tea with all of her special tea cups and from then on the dishes came out on special days and holidays. I'm glad she started using them, because about 10 years later she started to get dementia and now has Alzheimer's and the dishes just sit in the cabinet, again.

Keeping my fabric and being afraid to use it on the wrong project is like having my words come back to bite me in the bottom. So the moral of the story, is I had better get going and start using my favorite fabric before someone else buys in a big garage sale for 25 cents a yard.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:32 AM

Tartan and bearisgray have the right attitude. That said I have some fabric given to me by a swap partner in South Africa that I cannot bring myself to cut, some day the right project will call out and then I'll do it.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:38 AM

I used to feel that way, I would "save" fabrics that I thought were too beautiful to cut. But, I have learned, it's only fabric. There is more every day. So now I wait till a project talks to me and then I go for it with wild abandon.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:17 PM

I was that way. I didn't want to use something, I'd save it for something Special or for something Good. My sister told me to "quit saving things for Special and Good because they are not stopping by to visit."
Old 09-20-2016, 12:05 PM

Stash = fabric museum. Funny!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:09 PM

Here is the way I see it, I have 2 or 3 pieces from the same collection that I adore, this fabric is beautiful. I love it so much I do not want to cut it. By now there is know other fabric around like it. I can not bring myself to do anything but look at it and smile. I don't even remember where I bought it or how long ago.
JulieM
Old 09-20-2016, 10:07 PM

I am just the opposite I love to cut, tear, and sew fabric! petting your stash is fine, but creating and sharing for me is so much more exhilarating. Try it you might like it once you conquer your fears.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
I, too, like to pet my favorite fabric and am afraid of using it on the wrong project. But, tartan, you reminded me of a discussion that my mother and I had about twenty years ago.

While eating Sunday dinner at my mom's, I was looking at her China cabinet and all these beautiful dishes and tea cups that she gotten over the years. Many were wedding gifts that she had gotten over 60 years ago. I asked her why she never used them. Her reply was that she was afraid of them getting broken. I thought how sad, and replied to her, "But, mom, I'll just love using them when you are gone; so thanks for taking such good care of them for me." Well, my answer gave her just the impetus she needed to start using them. The next Sunday, we had a beautiful setting of dishes and afterwards we had a lovely tea with all of her special tea cups and from then on the dishes came out on special days and holidays. I'm glad she started using them, because about 10 years later she started to get dementia and now has Alzheimer's and the dishes just sit in the cabinet, again.

Keeping my fabric and being afraid to use it on the wrong project is like having my words come back to bite me in the bottom. So the moral of the story, is I had better get going and start using my favorite fabric before someone else buys in a big garage sale for 25 cents a yard.
Thank you Mac... made me tear up, but also re-think my position... thank you...
Old 09-22-2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
I was that way. I didn't want to use something, I'd save it for something Special or for something Good. My sister told me to "quit saving things for Special and Good because they are not stopping by to visit."
I haven't had them by either! lol