IRS Scam

Old 09-21-2016, 03:18 AM

I have been getting these calls for the last two weeks. I got tried of them!!!! So I finally told the person that the next time they called I was taking down the number and taking to our Sub Station or Police Dept. They have a fraud (or scam dept). They haven't call in 3 days.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:12 AM

There is another scam where they call and claim to be from microsoft and need to fix your computer because the games installed had messed it up. I read in our local paper that someone allowed them access and they took over the computer and demanded $600 to "put it back". He paid. When I got the call I told the guy I was Googling the phone number and calling police as we were speaking. He says "no google, no google " and hung up. I suspect he was Pakistani or Indian from accent. Police department says don't answer any calls with unfamiliar numbers or numbers not in your cell phone.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Just the other day a got a call from my new dentist calling from another line. I added that one to my contacts and in the ID I added "line 2" to his name. If a number is not on my ID, it can go to voice mail. If it's that important they will leave a message. My niece lives near D.C. Of course I have her on caller ID. Anything else goes to voice mail. Anytime I call a number, I put it into my contacts. When they call, even if I've never spoken with them before and always put a word or two like "car CL" telling me about a car on Craigslist or such. You can always go back and edit.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:44 AM

Thank you for posting this == I get a few calls like this and just hang up but they are scary!!
Old 09-21-2016, 04:50 AM

Seems our tax depts. have gotten together because we get the same sort of calls north of the border. Plus I have received several emails from various banks and institutions telling me that my accounts have been locked. Gee, my memory is getting really bad because I don't remember ever opening accounts with any of these companies.

The one I really hate is the one from Paypal because many of us do use it and it looks very very real. Never EVER click on the link in the email. If it actually was from Paypal, it would never have a link but would ask you to log on to your account using a separate window.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:58 AM

I retired from IRS. Sometimes they do call but not for asking you to wire money. Interestingly, I just had two calls yesterday. I answered the first and it was a recording telling me that I was being sued by IRS. I hung up and five minutes later I got another call, with different area code, and same recording. Unfortunately the prey on the senior citizens who tend to get panicky and do whatever they say.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:33 AM

Our local paper said to notify authorities when you get a call. I received my first this week. If they call again I will contact our local police so they know the scammers are targeting this area again.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Just the other day a got a call from my new dentist calling from another line. I added that one to my contacts and in the ID I added "line 2" to his name. If a number is not on my ID, it can go to voice mail. If it's that important they will leave a message. My niece lives near D.C. Of course I have her on caller ID. Anything else goes to voice mail. Anytime I call a number, I put it into my contacts. When they call, even if I've never spoken with them before and always put a word or two like "car CL" telling me about a car on Craigslist or such. You can always go back and edit.
Absolutely the way to do it. In FL, we are besieged with scams. If we don't know the caller shown on caller ID, we don't answer. We especially don't answer when it says, "blocked caller ID." Anyone can leave a message. If we feel like it, we'll get back to them. Who ever said the phone has to be answered? I pay for it and will answer if I know who's calling and I want to talk then. Period.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:08 AM

Need to watch out for the ones that request bond money to get someone you know out of jail or to pay for their clinic bill that is out of the country.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:19 AM

If I don't recognize the name or number, I let it go to voicemail. If I am suspicious about a number, I google it. Oftentimes, you will see many postings that indicate it is a scam.