Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
It Smelled Like Burned Paper >

It Smelled Like Burned Paper

It Smelled Like Burned Paper

Old 09-24-2016, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

We keep our p-towels in an upright holder next to the micro wave. We have a broiler/toaster/oven. as soon as we're done we unplug and have the plug situated to where we can at a glance see it isn't plugged in and same with the coffee pot. Glad you're ok.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:01 PM

A friend of mine was teaching her home-ec class of boys how to do some cooking. They smelled something strange and found that the pot holder had stuck to the bottom of the pot and was now on the hot burner. So she took the pan off the stove, made sure that there was no fire and went on with the class. They smelled something strange again and found that the pot had been put back on the burner with the pot holder still on it. This time they took the pot holder off the pot.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:44 AM

I wasn't sure where to post this, but in the article about crayons this week it mentions paper towels. After trying this method several years ago in a class, Bounty brand paper towels are the ONLY one tough enough not to shred under this technique. The other brands just fall apart and make a big mess for you.

Nice thing is, Bounty also makes their product in usable sized napkin style if you prefer. I just wanted to alert all who want to try this method. The method is very nice, but you need very good and sturdy paper towels.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:04 PM

I worry about the toaster as it normally (not in use) sits at the back of the counter, but I insist we pull it out to outside edge when used as don't want the cabinet finish getting hot. Drives me crazy that DH won't always close the glass doors of the fireplace (always uses the metal mesh screen instead) and the varnish on the underside of the mantel gets hot and bubbley--I threaten him about this every time.