Mice! Yuk!

Old 09-28-2016, 04:30 AM

Throw it all away. The smelll lingers. Ask me how I know. :-( Plus think of all the bacteria in that fabric that you can't see...and maybe it won't all wash out. YUK! The pest people told us to use peanut butter in the trap. Hubs 'harvested' 10 in one day! We now have a black snake who comes by and likes them for lunch. Got to see that action one day as I was going out the door. Country living is a real eye opener.

Last edited by coopah; 09-28-2016 at 04:35 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 09-28-2016, 05:16 AM

A friend who lives in a city swears by peanut butter in traps , he says they can not resist it
Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 AM

Palm rats (little mice) in Texas ate our air conditioning and brake lines in our new truck while we were camping. It took the dealership 3 days to fix it but the one trouble light never went off after that. I am preparing now for the fall mice who seek refuge in our house. 7 years ago when we bought a house, I would sneeze when I was painting the family room downstairs with a dropped ceiling. I decided to take the ceiling pieces down and they were full of mice droppings, the floor was concrete and it sounded like hail on the floor, it was that bad. I don't think I like Mickey Mouse either.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:55 AM

We were raised in the country and the field mice were pretty much a part of life- poisons were not an option due to all the critters we ended up with. Mom tried every old wife's tale she read or heard about. They ate through Tupperware. Well Mom's solution was ''if you can't beat 'em- feed 'em. They seemed to enjoy my brothers corn flakes the most so she kept them supplied in corn flakes. Old coffee cans filled with flakes along the edges of the yard. After that it was very rare we seen a mouse in the house-which only meant they were out of flakes. Fill the can 2/3 and put the lid back on with only 1 knife slit close to the edge of the lid so they can smell the goodies-they will chew their way in-Mom said they need the challenge--aka--mouse sy-col-ogy --lol. We all still do this and it still works. Buy the biggest cheapest box of flakes and you are still saving tons of money and you are not killing any of God's little critters. We believe if you ain't going to eat it -don't kill it.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 AM

In Oregon,rodent droppings carry hantavirus virus and bubonic plague....ditch the fabric and drag out the bleach.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:56 AM

Several years ago I boarded my horse with a friend from New York who had a novel approach to the little critters. He didn't want to leave anything around that was poisioness or would let the mice go somewhere to die and start to smell. So he would put out flour and cornmeal mixed with quick dry cement and a dish of water next to it. The mice ate the cement mix and then got a nice drink of water. The end result was they would die because their little tummies became concrete and they would die and not smell. Funny thing is it worked as you would occassionaly find the dead rock hard body lying somewhere.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

I miss my Rosy. She was a large garter snake about 2 1/2 -3 feet long. She was under our container garden platform. Kept the birds away from our plants and the mice away from the house. She lived under that platform for 3 summers. Then the yard guy's helper killed her. Told him about her and not to hurt her. Wasn't 2 days later we had mice but only couple hours and we lost our tomato and strawberry plants. Words came out of this banshee's mouth that would have scared a drunken sailor and the devil himself. [QUOTE=coopah;7663300]Throw it all away. The smelll lingers. Ask me how I know. :
Old 09-28-2016, 09:24 AM

We had really bad mice problems in our last house. The neighbors had horses and kept the grain in their back yard in sacks! They didn't even put it in trash cans to keep at least some of the rodents out. The mice got in my attic and ate (and peed on) a bunch of my Christmas stuff and I have to toss it all out.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:18 AM

My DH traps mice in the garage... He sets up a bucket of water. Takes a metal rod and puts a empty soup can coated with PB on the rod. Places the rod on the top of the bucket. He builds a little ramp for the dear critters to walk up. The idea is for the mice to crawl up the ramp drawn by the smell of the PB. Then they go out on the rod and try to get some PB off the can and KERPLUNK! Sorry, but I do not like mice!!!
I am breaking out the Peppermint oil as we speak...
Old 09-28-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin View Post
My DH traps mice in the garage... He sets up a bucket of water. Takes a metal rod and puts a empty soup can coated with PB on the rod. Places the rod on the top of the bucket. He builds a little ramp for the dear critters to walk up. The idea is for the mice to crawl up the ramp drawn by the smell of the PB. Then they go out on the rod and try to get some PB off the can and KERPLUNK! Sorry, but I do not like mice!!!
I am breaking out the Peppermint oil as we speak...
I paid money for a contraption like this. I couldn't make it work so I sent it back.
My best mouse catcher was a 5-gallon pail almost full of food waste from a community pancake breakfast. I left it sit in the garage for a day or two until I would have time to spread it out on the field. I think there were 5 to 6 dead mice in there the next morning. They fell in and drowned.