Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your DH come with you on shop hops? >

Does your DH come with you on shop hops?

Does your DH come with you on shop hops?

Old 10-03-2016, 06:15 PM

My husband drops me off at the front door, asks if I have my Visa card ready. He says I am to shop to my hearts content, buy what I want and most of all have a good time. We usually bring the Boko James with us so they can go for a walk and get some training in while I shop.

He also comes in if I need his opinion on color choices, which he has a good eye for.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:31 PM

We live on a farm and raise registered Angus cattle (black gold nowdays thanks to the Angus beef craze at the grocery stores) and we have a cattle trailer - the Cadillac of cattle trailers - a FEATHERLITE. So, we went to another town for something a couple of years ago and spotted a quilt shop along the way and we stopped, of course. That is when I was "dying" to find a Featherweight sewing machine. He went in with me and saw that they had lots of used sewing machines for display on very high shelves. He asked if they had any FEATHERLITE machines for sale. The ladies in the shop didn't even miss a beat and said "did he mean FEATHERWEIGHT???" LOL
Old 10-03-2016, 06:34 PM

My DH has accompanied me To quilt shops when we're out of town, but stays in the car or goes to a guitar store if ther's one nearby. He and I appreciate the creative outlets the other enjoys, but there's always "parallel play" vs crossover into each other's hobbies. He never says "buy whatever you want" because A) I would , and B) it's not his nature . Honestly I never go wild on purchases. One time I shopped for 45 minutes while waited in the car and only came out with a fat quarter. ""That's all you bought?" He says with a shocked look.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:29 PM

Default Does your DH come with you on shop hops?

Not if I can avoid it
Old 10-03-2016, 08:51 PM

DH has stopped at quilt shops twice when we've been traveling. Both times I wondered why he was exiting the Interstate! One had a huge lounge set up out front!
Old 10-03-2016, 09:19 PM

When we travel, my DH will take me to quilt shops but he stays in the car, even if they have a nice sitting area. At home and we are out running errands together and I need to stop for something specific he will stay in the car. But if I want to do some exploring, I leave him home.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 10-03-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:52 PM

This is slightly different. I took my father with me. He enjoyed going some were new for a meal and then I could go shop hoping in the Peak District. He would sleep in the car while I shopped. At one shop in Derby Dale the assistant kept asking if he was okay.
One shop I went to in Nottingham had set up an area where customers could have a drink. This frequently had husbands there. I learnt all about an iPad before I bought one from one husband. Oh and I did some shopping.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:27 AM
Power Poster

My hubby often goes with m- no waiting in the car for him! He likes to check out shops and generally I wind up spending a lot more than I would without him. He is constantly 2 steps ahead of me checking out what's new- I'm more looking at what I always gravitate toward. When ever we are ( traveling) he scopes out new shops. We need a bumper sticker that says ( I break for quilt shops)-- instead of yard sales. He is very supportive and enjoys choosing colors/ fabrics and new patterns along with demonstrations of the newest gadgets.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:07 AM

Yes, he goes into the shops with me. But I don't let him follow me around. All he does is spot batiks he wants a shirt made in. We have fun finding new shops and he enjoys the break. But, I am a quick shopper, I choose and go.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:50 AM

I don't generally do shop hops per se. But when we're out and about - locally or long distance, hubs will gladly pop into the quilt shops with me. I usually only buy for projects so if I don't have something new in mind, I usually only pick up patterns or stencils. But he's always willing to go into the shops. Last year for my birthday, he planned a trip to Lancaster for shopping. Stopped for lunch along the way; met up with some friends/business associates after shopping and had dinner on the way home. Very nice day!