Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wavy border, to redo or not? >

Wavy border, to redo or not?

Wavy border, to redo or not?

Old 01-31-2010, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
I'm amazed (and, if I'm honest, amused) by the number of "take it out and re-do" and "leave it in" responses.

I never measure my borders beyond making sure that they won't be too short. They are never wavy (none yet, anyway); I wonder why.
I don't measure either but until now I didn't want to say that here. I also wonder why I don't get wavy borders. I do use a dual feed foot, maybe that's it.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:06 AM

New to quilting, but just thought (if it's even possible). What about running a basting stitch along each border piece to create a very slight ruffle effect. It would then look like the waves belonged and would take up the excess fabric. Then the border wouldn't even need quilting since it would need to look a little puffy. Then bind as usual. Your quilt is beautiful. I love your colors, pinwheels, and prairie points. Is this an original design or a pattern? Good luck!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:46 AM

I would redo it simply because if you don't, it will bug you every time you see it. (Ask me how I know.) :roll:
Old 01-31-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio
Bonnie at Quiltville says to always measure with the fabric down the middle, never a ruler. Since I have done that my borders have been fine. I, also love the crinkly look so my fabrics are never washed and I LOVE the Shout color catchers - no problems here and I've used dark reds a lot!! I use about 5 or 6 when I first wash. I've also heard that plain muslin will do the same.
I think it is a lovely quilt and bet you will love it, wrinkles & all. But then I love crinkly wrinkles.
Judi
This is what I do, too - lay the border strips down the center - not a ruler or tape measure, and cut to fit. This works for me!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:56 AM

I'm glad you are going on to finish. You are not planning on entering it in a show and it will be fine. You won't make that mistake again. March on!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:24 AM

Re-do.... the waves will be there always. Here's how I do my borders.... I lay the quilt out on the floor or table..whereever is long enough and lay my quilt border and PIN it EXACTLY to the top in the center of the quilt. Then I smooth the border over the center of the quilt until I get to the other end...and slide a mat under and rotary cut the border. After I sew both borders on...then I do the same on the sides by measuring with the border over the center of the quilt. My quilts do not wave..your's won't either. This method makes is so that you don't have measure two pieces of long fabric and get them exactly within an 8th of an inch of each other.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:55 PM

I was looking to see if you were anywhere near me because I would have helped you take those borders out. Your piecing is beautiful and I hope your borders work out as they are. Please update us after you've quilted. I would hate to have to show you my first quilt and all the mistakes I made on it.

PS - Your avatar is a lovely picture!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:48 PM

What a beautiful quilt , please show us the finished product after it's washed, with that sweet baby sitting on top of it...
Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
I would redo them because you have a beautiful quilt top and I would think it would be worth it. I am working on an Amish quilt that is really getting a lot of "seam ripper" usage, but I will not give up. I know it will look good when done -
I would redo them
Old 02-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Please take the borders out and redo them the right way.
It would be a good idea to really starch the borders before reapplying. You have to tame the bias.