Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do . . . >

What do you do . . .

What do you do . . .

Old 10-04-2016, 12:44 PM

Along these lines, I have a new quilter who is just beginning to make quilts. She chose a star pattern with diamonds not over 2 inch pieces. She has each point put together but now when she is trying to make the star it doesn't match up. I looked at the points and she is not consistent with 1/4 inch seams. she made a comment she was tired of ripping. Should I take her under my wing and help her rip and sew so she will end up with quilt.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:14 PM

ok, a funny comment along these lines--I was helping out a friend with her high school FACS class this spring--we had about 1/2 the VERY new to sewing students making quiltings that they could either finish by tying or quilting on the DSM--one of the girls had cautioned me that she was a little "OCD" (although not really--just a perfectionist) and her piecing proved that true. When she got to the quilting she announced that "quilting sure has cured me of my OCD!". We all had to laugh--especially those of us that were quilters cause we have all be in that position that you have to say "Done is better than perfect".
Old 10-04-2016, 09:37 PM

Thank you all again for your suggestions and encouragement. This quilt is a "commission" from my husband. He found a fabric collection and when I found a pattern made with that same fabric, he said do it. The pattern is a line of half square triangles sewn diagonally through a square. I'm not sure which stage threw me off. But it snowballed. I know when I trimmed, I knew my points would be cut off.
My squares are in time out right now (thanks francie yuhas!) But I will finish the quilt. (I briefly thought about cutting it apart and making something new.)
Funny - many of the comments I have said to other people. Why, oh why are we so hard on ourselves. I had forgotten the quote - done is better than perfect. Thanks all for the gentle reminders

Last edited by thyme2quilt; 10-04-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:58 PM
Power Poster

I agree it's good to step back and take a break when you are frustrated. Then later you can forge bravely on and get it figured out. Sometimes it's just a matter of taking in or letting out a few seams. Once it's done it will be wonderful and you can fall back in love with it again.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:59 PM
Power Poster

In order not to lose your points, consider taking in your seams a bit, rather than trimming the block on the outer edge. But... if you lose a few, you lose them. It's not the end of the world.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
For me it's usually when I am cornered into making a quilt for some one who chose colors or different types of fabric that just don't play nice together. And I always try to be extra careful with my cuts when it's their fabric, because I have no idea where they purchased it. One lady brought me a pastel pink satiny and a bright safety orange printed duck cloth to make a baby quilt. When I tried to explain why these were not compatible she said just do the best you can with it. Well I put it back in the bag and handed it back to her and said this is the best thing I can do with these. Reasons 2&3 were I could not inflict a baby with those colors or the rough feeling of the duck.
Good way to handle it! Jeeze... what was she thinking?
Old 10-05-2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by thyme2quilt View Post
When a quilt you've worked so hard on to be precise turns out to be anything but? I'm sewing my pieced blocks together and nothing is matching Will anyone notice? Probably not but I know it's not right. Feeling very frustrated tonight.
I always feel on every quilt that I have worked hard on it...and I know there are mistakes in each and every one. But after it is gifted, I forget about it and go on to next one. When I first started back making quilts, I had some issues with the seams. I would use applique to take care of that, but now I do a lot of double stitching and wash the quilt before gifting to make sure no surprises. But little issues I let go...by the time I have completed a quilt, I am so ready to move on to something else anyway.