free Free Westinghouse Type E

Old 12-29-2013, 05:12 AM

The set Lmc8 posted is for the Free VS, but the feet are the same as fits the later Free Rotary.

From what I've gathered, Free took over New Home around 1927 and after that, the New Home was just a "name" on Free machines. Free and National merged in 1953, and closed in 1957. Janome took over and started putting the name "New Home" on it's machines.

BTW - National had a different style of attachments - and they made most of the Montgomery Wards machines until National went of out of business.

The set for the rotary has a different style shirr plate and underbaider - one item to note, later Greist sets removed the underbraider and used the modified edge stitcher for top braiding.

One identifing detail of the "Free" made machines is the needle plate with these two holes in it.

The underbaider and shirr plate have two hooks on the bottom, and they clip into the holes - tip the attachment and get the clip started in the top hole, then lower it so the bottom one slides in, then push it into place.

The easiest way to get an idea if a set will fit your machine - look at the style of shirr plate and underbraider. Though always accept that someone may have "mixed and matched" if they had more than one set without realizing they weren't quite the same.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
.....Though always accept that someone may have "mixed and matched" if they had more than one set without realizing they weren't quite the same.
Or they were “saved” from a previous machine. This is the attachment set that came in my 1901 Singer 27k2 treadle. Obviously, they don’t go with this low-shank machine.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine552T_10.jpg
Views:	1430
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	453714  
Old 12-29-2013, 07:01 AM

most likely that set goes with a White VS machine - but the feet will fit any White
Does the shuttle go with the Singer or is it different? The one that would have gone with this set has a pin in the middle.

It's sort of like that set of attachments I bought that goes with this style of machine - and along with it were a bunch of WW(or Singer) D9 feet, and two long bobbins . . .
Old 12-29-2013, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I have a Free Westinghouse but I do not know much about it. I did look on line and found they were made in the US but know little else about it....
Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
....most likely that set goes with a White VS machine - but ... the shuttle ....that would have gone with this set has a pin in the middle...
Naw....I couldn’t get that lucky. I have my Grandma’s first machine that she got used in 1929 as a wedding gift that’s a White VSIII. I collect all of the White shuttles that I can, and they do turn up in strange places, but not this time.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-11-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
I have a Free Westinghouse but I do not know much about it. I did look on line and found they were made in the US but know little else about it....
Have you found anymore about this one? I just got one and have been seraching for a free manual..........or any info really....mine is a dark brown/burgandy color and it says its a "J" model....I cant figure out how to thread it...when not threaded, it seems to run just fine, when I try to thread it, nothing seems to work...I do need help......
Old 01-12-2014, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
Have you found anymore about this one? I just got one and have been seraching for a free manual..........or any info really....mine is a dark brown/burgandy color and it says its a "J" model....I cant figure out how to thread it...when not threaded, it seems to run just fine, when I try to thread it, nothing seems to work...I do need help......
I have a Newhome Light Running NLB. If you don't know already, the hand wheel turns away from you to begin stitching. It takes awhile to wrap your brain about starting backwards. I do have a manual for mine that needs to be scanned. Let me know if you still need a manual.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:55 AM

I have this same machine. for the most part it works great. I have almost run out of needles and am trying to replace the rotary motor pulley. Any advice there would be great. I don't want to retire this old gal but as parts get more and more difficult to source I may be forced to. I've used many machines and this one is my favourite!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:24 PM

Needles are available on eBay often or you can grind down about 3/16" from the top of the shank and they work great. Replacement pulleys are available from several sources, Cindy Peters at [email protected] or Jenny at shop.sew-classic.com are both reliable and inexpensive sources.