Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What do you think this is worth???  Need help! >

What do you think this is worth??? Need help!

What do you think this is worth??? Need help!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:07 AM

If your sister puts it on E-bay have her start the bidding at $300. She can always come down if she gets no takers after a week or so. I think you can advertize on places like Craigs list also. Make sure to mention the handquilting and embroidery.
I quilt at our local Senior center. We raffle off a quilt we have handquilted every year. They usually make at least $1200 or more.
Years ago a made and donated a quilt to our church auction. When the bidding was slow getting started I ran the price up by bidding on it myself.
Your chairity needs to raise it's prices. People don't value things they get for little or nothing. We have one like that in our community. They charge $.25 for paperback books. The same town has a Good Will store that charges $1.66 for a paperback book. The Good Will sells a lot more.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Do you know the approximate age of it? Is it signed?

I agree, you should ask at least $500 for it or raffle it off.

It's gorgeous!!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:04 AM

Good to know! thanks for the info! I really appreciate knowing that.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:38 AM

Label it as a period quilt if you can determine when it was made. Items from the 50s and 60s are going for big bucks now with people decorating with items from those decades.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:01 PM

$10, okay, I will make it $20!!! Yes, a raffle at a BIG event would be a better idea. It is priceless, and sooo beautiful!
Old 01-31-2010, 04:20 PM

If you want to raffle the quilt off, you can determin hom much you want to get for the quilt...say $2,000. get that many raffle tickets and when that many have been sold, have the drawing.
I've seen that done around where I live...may take longer, but I bet in a fairly large community, you would be able to sell $2,000. of tickets in no time at all if you do as some others have suggested on ways to sell the tickets.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:29 PM

I think Barb has a good idea. Do NOT let it go for some ridiculous low price!!! It is valuable!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:28 PM

If you decide to 'raffle' it, find out what your state laws are regarding raffles. In CA, we call ours, "opportunity quilts" as raffles are illegal, or that's what I've been told. Anyhow, you have a beautiful quilt there, and from the comments on this board, there'd be lots of people interested in having a chance to own it. I hope you have a community large enough to allow you to raise lots of money from this. Consider taking it and showing it at different events to really promote it. Good luck to you. Let us know what you decide and how much you are able to raise!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:34 AM

Lets see? How many members do we have on this board, at a buck a piece - for the raffle ticket? Yes ,I think the raffle is the way to go.....let us know!
I have a friend that every two years, she makes a doggie quilt to raffle off for a local pet organization. She make flyers with a picture of the quilt on it and post them around the hospital where we work. She makes great monies with it. You could post flyers of where it will be on display, dates, period piece and a picture of course and go from there. All of her friends carry tickets, everyone in house know by then of the raffle and always buy the tickets. I had one Doctor pull out his raffle tickets from his church, so we traded off, great fun. You could have a small prize for the person selling the most tickets and make sure they carry the flyer to show the picture. Have the best photographer you know do the pics... Good luck.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:20 PM

My sister listed the quilt. I forgot to post, but if any of you are interested, here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MESE:IT