Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bride of FrankenPfaff >

Bride of FrankenPfaff

Bride of FrankenPfaff

Old 10-06-2016, 06:11 AM

Default Bride of FrankenPfaff

So... I finally have had some moderate success FMQ-ing with my janky, rigged up industrial Pfaff (named Ermingerd.) She's no longer breaking much thread - thanks to all for the input regarding rayon! That was, in fact, 90% of the problem.

But, I have to say that she has some quirks that aren't helping my beginner clumsies. While I have learned that you're supposed to stop quilting to re-position your hands, Gertie isn't well set up to do that. For one thing, she has no foot pedal. The dimmer switch that controls on/off and speed is on the right side of the machine, and ludicrously touchy. Too low, and she's struggling to turn over. A hair more, and she's too fast for me to manage. And if I get confused and turn it the wrong way, she's a mile a minute and breaking even poly thread. So, once I get her at a more or less comfortable speed, I'm VERY reluctant to stop her. I'm trying to walk my hands along while keeping the quilt sandwich moving, with some success, but a lot more trouble, for sure.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not (despite the thread title) married to this machine. My investment in Gertie is actually pretty minimal so far. And I have several domestics that would also quilt, including a Bernina that was billed as the Quilters Edition. But I look at the throat space on them and wish I had about 3 times more room. Y'know?
Old 10-06-2016, 06:37 AM

I have never tried FMQ on an industrial machine. This being said,I have done lots of FMQ on my Pfaff sewing machine and had great luck with it. Have you contacted Pfaff customer service? They may have some suggestions for you.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

If you can get her at a comfortable speed, try walking your fingers like in the yellowpages ( one hand at a time) to reposition your hands.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:50 AM

I used to use that Bernina Quilters Edition machine with the tiny throat space. I quilted a few bed size quilts on it, as well as numerous lap sized ones. Just start quilting in the middle and work your way out. It's not so bad! Your other machine sounds kind of quirky
Old 10-06-2016, 12:53 PM

You need a pedal! There are pedals with outlet blocks in them designed for older machines. I would think you should be able to plug your machine into that, and gain better speed control that way.

I'm impressed at your ingenuity, though!
Old 10-09-2016, 05:55 PM

hmm....my Consew industrial machine would not be possible to FMQ--it's made to tackle heavy duty stuff and wouldn't allow the flexibility to FMQ. That being said, there's a company, Stover Quilting, in Stover MO that uses industrial machines, but they have a track system built in overhead and clamp the quilt into a wood frame (about 10" by width of quilt) that hangs from the track system and then they quilt--very fast!--by moving the frame back and forth in the design desired. they may be visible on their website--I'll check it and see.