Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best beginner machine???? >

Best beginner machine????

Best beginner machine????

Old 10-07-2016, 07:23 AM

Hands down a Featherweight 221
Old 10-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I do this when I go to estate sales which might be something you may want to consider. I usually take a 'layer slice of fabric (10" x 10") of denim. That way I can fold and refold to the layers I want to test. I also take extra thread. Check estate sales in your area. Many who handle the sales have websites. You can get a great deal at a super savings. Also make sure if you take someone with you they are totally on board with you and not a "I don't know why you think you need a new one" kind of person. Good luck!
Originally Posted by elnan View Post
I've been sold on Janome machines since I sat to help someone sew on a Janome Gem Gold. It was noisy, nowhere near as quiet as the old Singer 301 straight stitch that I love to piece with, but I was favorably impressed. I decided I wanted the Gem Platinum for the needle down feature, but at that time it could only be bought from a dealer, and as most of my machines come from thrift stores, the price was a big OUCH. Since then I have picked up two of the Janome's, one given to me and one online from Shopgoodwill.com. At the price you have earmarked to spend, you could get more bells & whistles. Put some strips of fabric and thread in a quart bag and keep it in your purse or the car so that you can sew test samples when the urge strikes you. I would not tell the sales person how much you have to spend, let them work on making you a deal that you cannot refuse. For a long time Janome made the Kenmore machines and I have some of those, good machines.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

If the salesperson badgers you a little about your budget (not giving it up), leave. I told them my budget and they kept wanting to go up another. One said well if you can spend this much a little more won't hurt. I left.
Never even went back into the store. I had gone in previously and not really pleasant.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:46 AM
Power Poster

You will never find a finer machine than an old Necchi. Have it serviced and keep sewing. Those are tanks! But if you need to haul a machine around there is a lot of advice for something light weight, new and expensive. A great machine is a 1980s Kenmore 12 stitcher. The 10, 6 and 6 etc from that era are nice and some are light weight. They do a variety of utility stitches. I've not seen one beyond repair and if I did, I would love to have one for parts when I do repairs. On any machine, decorative machine stitches look like they were done by machine. You can never get them to look as sweet as hand done. 99% of sewing is straight stitch. A nice treat might well be a featherweight if you have the money but that Necchi should be your prized possession. I do not love sewing on the computerized machines. I want much more control over where the needle starts and stops. I suggest you take something somewhat complicated to actually sew when you go looking. Can you make the needle go where you want and not just only where the machine wants to go when you stop. See how the machine handles with complicated project. That was when I reverted to vintage machines. The computerized start and stop drove me up the walls especially trying to turn precise corners. I couldn't make the machine stop and start as exact as on my vintage. Then I couldn't make two corners match. I can do it in a heart beat on my vintage machines. I suppose there is some setting to do that but I could not control it to suit myself. For me it is much quicker not to have to look in the manual just to do something. Much quicker to do it the old fashioned way.

Last edited by miriam; 10-08-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:30 AM

Yes, you do need a list of features that you want in a machine. That is the first important step. The second is to gather together a group of fabrics that you like to use-take a variety from quilting cottons, flannels, and whatever else you might do. (I like to sew with silk, wool, etc.) Take some samples of quilt sandwiches and take different threads that you would be likely to use. I recommend that you go to dealers that specialize in specific brands. Sit with them and run your tests under their supervision. Visit several dealers. I feel that dealers who have a variety of brands and sales people who just want to sell you a machine aren't knowledgeable enough to help you buy the best machine for your needs. Keep and mark your samples carefully. Then, make your decision. Don't buy more machine features than you would use. I am a BERNINA girl but I would never buy the embroidery module because I don't want to invest in all that thread, stabilizers and software. Some people love that and it is a good investment for them. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Unless you use an embroidery machine all the time and are good at it and stock all the supplies, you might be money ahead hiring it on the occasions you need it. On the other hand if you have deep pockets or can earn some money doing embroidery for right wads like me...
Old 10-08-2016, 06:23 AM

Be sure to look at floor models. I bought a mid-priced floor model (Janome DC 2010) from a shop that had opened 6 months before and was selling floor models at a great price in order to be able to bring in new models. The machine was selling the week before for $599 but I came home with it, a walking foot thrown in, and a $25 gift certificate for the shop for $400. The machine has been very reliable for the past 6 years. I love it!
Old 10-08-2016, 06:59 AM

I had one answer in mind when I read the title, but after reading your budget there is no need to skimp. In many hobbies, sometimes people want to tell you to get a beginner machine then step up later. I will tell you that is a great way to loose money. Instead of buying one and then trading up 6 months later just buy a nice machine to begin with. I'm not telling you to go out of your budget, but buy the best machine you can within your budget.

Pricing on machines is like buying jewelry. There is a lot of wiggle room. Sometimes manufacturers give kickbacks in pricing breaks to retailers at quilt shows. Do your research before you go to the show. I've seen machines that list about $2000 that you can buy for half of that at a show.

Last year we came down to two machines. A Juki DX7 / 2000QVP (very similar machines) vs a Brother NQ1300PRW. Both machines listed at about $2000. I tried to buy the Juki but last October, the release dates just keep getting pushed back so the beginning of Nov, we bought the Brother. Paid $1249 then got a $100 rebate. http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin...W#.VkaHsL9z31k At a recent show, saw the Juki DX2000QVP for $999: Those aren't everyday prices, you have to shop hard for those numbers but they can be achieved.

When you get down to the final two or three machines for consideration google Decision Tree Maker. I just made my own with an excel file, but basically it can help you decide what is important to YOU and it helps you make difficult decisions from a factual place and not just an impulse type buy.

In the end, the decision is yours and yours alone. It's your money, don't let some slick sales rep take it from you without a good feeling about the dealer. For me buying locally or semi locally was a big deal in my decision matrix because I wanted that support.

I think that I could write an article on sewing machine buying, but this response is already getting long. Have Fun with your buying decision.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:55 AM

While visiting the AQS show in DSM I took a look at the new Juki 2200 Show price was $999, the Juki 2010 is no longer made. Juki 2200 is on my wish list! Straight stitch only machine.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:30 AM

Try a lot of different machines at the dealers, but do NOT let them convince you that you need all the bells and whistles to start. I have NEVER used the embroidery feature or the majority of the fancy stitches. And I paid dearly for them.