Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with machine quilting >

Help with machine quilting

Help with machine quilting

Old 10-08-2016, 03:07 PM

Default Help with machine quilting

I have quilted many quilts on my home machine,but am suddenly having problems.The thread keeps "shredding".I tried adjusting and cleaning everything,different needles and so forth.I am using a sheet on the back,,maybe it s that???Too late to take it off now.Maybe the thread is old??? HELP!!! Its a quilt for my latest great granddaughter.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Sheets have a tight weave, try using a larger needle to punch through better.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

If it's a new sheet, tightly woven, it could be the problem. Don't know what kinds of needles you tried, but have you tried a jeans or top stitch needle? If you think the thread is old, take about 10 inches and try and break it by snapping it. If it breaks, it's too old.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:36 PM

I've used sheets for the backing and I don't think that would cause the thread breakage. Try a different brand of thread. Make sure you have the same thread in the bobbin as on top.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:38 PM

There are many possibilities for what could be causing it. Here's a good troubleshooting sheet that I use when that has happened to me:
http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...en-breaks.html
Also, a bead of Sewer's Aid on your spool of thread can sometimes help. It's available at JAF. But I agree with the others that for a sheet, I'd switch to a Top Stitch size 90/14.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:03 PM

I agree with the recommendation of a topstitch needle. They have a larger eye and longer scarf, which protects the thread from friction as it moves in and out of the fabric. It's not rayon thread, is it? If so, you need to use a different thread. Also make sure there are no burrs anywhere in the thread path, and that the thread path is not impeded in any way.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:22 AM

You need a needle that is going to make a large hole....one that is sharp and has a cobra head, so it will pierce the fabric and make a hole large enough for your thread to easily go through. What weight is your thread?
Old 10-10-2016, 06:24 AM

Caroline, I woud bet it is old thread. I have some old thread (quite a collection of it actually from when I did embroidery as a small business years ago) and every time I try to use it, especially a specific brand which I won't mention on here, it shreds - and if I change to a newer spool of thread, I have no problem.

Originally Posted by Caroline in Mo. View Post
I have quilted many quilts on my home machine,but am suddenly having problems.The thread keeps "shredding".I tried adjusting and cleaning everything,different needles and so forth.I am using a sheet on the back,,maybe it s that???Too late to take it off now.Maybe the thread is old??? HELP!!! Its a quilt for my latest great granddaughter.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:48 AM

I recycle and usually use sheets for backing. Mine are all pre-washed and starched, but I doubt that your problem is the sheet.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:41 AM
mac

I just took a class where the instructor said that Schmidt Microtex/Sharp Needles are really good to use for top stitching because the hole is bigger and they are really sharp and will help eliminate the shredding of your thread.

She also said to make sure that your thread is not old (even a couple years old can be old in thread) and don't use Rayon thread for quilting. She said that Rayon thread should only be used for decorative stitching since it is not strong enough for use in seams.

Also be sure that your machine bobbin area is clean. Lint can sometimes clog up the place where the needle goes through rubbing it until it shreds.

Check your tension on top and make sure it is not too tight. Also check that your bobbin tension is not too tight.

She said the best thread to use was Arifil, Superior, or Mettler, with Aurifil being her favorite, because they make the least amount of lint when sewing.

One more thing she said was to change your needle every two - three hours of sewing.

If all else fails, try slowing down with FMQ, if that is what you are doing.

That's all I got... Good luck.

Last edited by mac; 10-10-2016 at 10:44 AM.

FREE Quilting Newsletter