Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vacuuming up the dust, scraps and assorted pins >

Vacuuming up the dust, scraps and assorted pins

Vacuuming up the dust, scraps and assorted pins

Old 10-08-2016, 04:46 AM

Default Vacuuming up the dust, scraps and assorted pins

Ok, so it started with a new ironing board cover. I bought 3 yards of that metalic looking ironing board cover. Recovered my board which is 24" x 60"? Something like that. Then decided to clean up a bit around my ironing station. Ended up vacuuming 1/2 my sewing room. I know this doesn't sound like much. But I haven't seen the floor in a couple of years. Cleaned up a sweat. Hoping to finish today. I hate to clean too much. It won't look like I'm getting anything done.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

But sometimes, you just gotta' do it! I did a little 'straightening' of mine yesterday too!
Old 10-08-2016, 05:08 AM

Thumbs up

Glad you started vacuuming before the dust bunnies bit you!! Seriously, I am the same way about cleaning the sewing room. Afterwards I can never find anything.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

My desk I'm sitting at right now as I type is 24" x 60". That's a huge ironing board. I made an extra board to fit as an attachment to my regular board. Also covered it with the same cover. Really comes in handy. I like the fact I can put it aside since my room is small 8x9. If you're like me it doesn't really take that long to make it look busy again and I don't even have to be in the room for 2 minutes. I just walk in set something down and it seems to explode.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:12 AM

hahahaha I love the way you think. I or I should say we (hubby included) just did the whole basement. I really hate to mess it up but someone has to do it. Have a super day.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:10 AM

I try to dust and vacuum after I finish each project. Usually I try to vacuum just before I get ready to put my binding on my quilt as its always dragging on the floor and will pick up every stray thread I threw on the carpet. I put all the fabrics I used on that project away or into the scrap bin and then pull out my next project. I sometimes need to dust more often during the project as my sewing room is in the basement. After cleaning though I feel like I did accomplish something as it looks all nice a new to me again..............CLEAN.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:43 PM

had to clean the basement earlier this week--where I long arm--just needed to get threads vacumned up. My DH came down to work on his desk/bookcase area which was COVERED with books and papers (he writes books) that I'd been nagging him about for 2 years--seriously! he even vacumned and dusted and cleaned the bathroom. I didn't say anything other than thanks--only later did he realize that I wasn't having bunco that night and when I do this week, it will be upstairs! He kept saying, "why did I clean this up??"!
Old 10-09-2016, 02:57 AM

You're sure to have some things you've been missing but it sounds like you've accomplished a lot in the past couple of days. I have to keep my sewing room clean as it also serves as a guest room and the only guest room with a queen size bed. I always feel rejuvenated when I start a project in a clean space.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
Ok, so it started with a new ironing board cover. I bought 3 yards of that metalic looking ironing board cover. Recovered my board which is 24" x 60"? Something like that. Then decided to clean up a bit around my ironing station. Ended up vacuuming 1/2 my sewing room. I know this doesn't sound like much. But I haven't seen the floor in a couple of years. Cleaned up a sweat. Hoping to finish today. I hate to clean too much. It won't look like I'm getting anything done.
Pins are not good for the vacuum cleaner. I don't vacuum my sewing room too often either, but I always try to pick up pins. If I know that I have dropped one, I will look until I find it. A light of some kind helps with this, as they reflect the light.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:48 AM

I got so tired of the mess of thread snips and those pesky pin's getting into a game of hide-n-seek in the carpet with me-I usually find them in my feet- Any ways I bought those plastic floor mats for the desk chair and put 2 at the cutting table and 1 under the sewing cabinet. Now a magnet on a stick gets the pins and a hand vac gets the threads-5 minutes and the floor is safe to walk on and no snippets on my bindings.