Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you don't like the sample quilt colors, are you interested in the pattern? >

If you don't like the sample quilt colors, are you interested in the pattern?

If you don't like the sample quilt colors, are you interested in the pattern?

Old 10-09-2016, 11:27 AM

Sometimes I can see past the fabrics I don't like and sometimes I can't. I sometimes look on google images at a design that looks interesting. Most quilts are on there done in different fabrics. I found a quilt on Pinterest I loved. Even after I followed the links back to the original pattern i had a hard time believing that it was the same quilt in different colors. I had to keep flipping between the 2 to make sure it was the right pattern. I would never have bought the pattern from the designers sample, but I love the quilt I made.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

I import a picture of the pattern and recolor it in EQ7. Then if I like the colors I'll choose fabrics in that color scheme.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I import a picture of the pattern and recolor it in EQ7. Then if I like the colors I'll choose fabrics in that color scheme.
I use EQ7 for colors also.
A few weeks ago I saw a quilt at local quilt shop on the wall that I loved, but the photo on the pattern done in different fabrics was horrible. I asked to take a photo of the one quilt shop made and then bought the pattern.
karensue
Old 10-09-2016, 01:22 PM

It took me a while, but I can over look the colors that a quilt is in and appreciate the pattern.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:54 PM

I have bought more patterns at quilt shows because of the sample made up if I had just looked at picture on the pattern I would have passed and now I have a ton of patterns I have never used. I am learning a lot more self control at shows
Old 10-09-2016, 04:03 PM

Choosing colors has never been a problem for me. I am not intimidated by choosing colors other than what is on the pattern envelope.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:59 AM

No, I don't think I am like you at all. When I see a quilt, I immediately think of what different colors and ways I can change it. I never ever make a quilt like the pattern, I want it to be different and to be my creation.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:47 AM

I think I'm a very pattern-oriented person, so while I definitely like or dislike certain color combinations, I don't seem to have any trouble seeing the underlying pattern and imagining what it'd look like in alternate colors.

I like to look for patterns everywhere - I take pictures of anything I think might make for an interesting quilt. It could be patterns of shade on a sidewalk from a fence, could be the tile pattern on the floor in the dentist's bathroom, could be the way the morning sun falls on a pallet of bricks...it can be anything! Something I photograph probably most often, though, is wallpaper, carpeting and other fabrics found in hotels and other "corporate" spaces! A lot of them are what I would consider to be rather ugly colors, but a lot of them also feature interesting repeating geometric shapes and that's what I'm trying to capture. Inspiration is everywhere if you look in the right kind of way.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:04 AM

Yes, it's color that draws me. If I like it, I then look at the pattern and if the pattern doesn't appeal to me I move on. I already have too many on my "want to do" list. I think the more experience I get, the more I am able to look past "ugly colors" (to me) to imagine my own colors, but it isn't 2nd nature.....more like 5th or 6th nature
Old 10-10-2016, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Oh yes, sometimes i love the design but not the colors or fabrics. Wouldn't stop me from making it my way.