Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Batiks >

Washing Batiks

Washing Batiks

Old 10-10-2016, 06:36 AM

Use Retayne which is sold in fabric stores, quilt shops, etc. http://www.dharmatrading.com/chemicals/retayne.html
Use this product to 'fix' dyes in commercially purchased solid colored cotton fabrics or clothing to prevent color bleeding during washing. Also use to add washfastness to your own dyeing. Particularly valuable to quilters. Soak fabrics in Retayne before washing them for the first time. Use one teaspoon per yard of fabric in a HOT (at least 140º F) soak for 20-30 minutes, with enough water to cover the fabric, then wash in hot water and
Synthrapol
to get out any remaining, unfixed dye. If you don't do this last step with the Synthrapol, then only wash in cool water rinse and cool water for the life of the fabric. You do risk some fading when using the Synthrapol and hot water, as it will remove any remaining "fugitive" dye.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:24 AM

What ever they are going to do I want them to do before I put them in a quilt. I wash precuts by hand but fat quarters and larger go into my washer. I don't want any surprises when I wash my finished quilt for the first time.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:40 AM

Thanks to all for your answers.... I will prewash!
Old 10-10-2016, 01:52 PM

I hate to say it - but I do not like the JoAnn batik fat quarters - I think they are of a coarser fabric. I do not know about their batik fabric on the bolts though - have not bought any of it. Yes, I always prewash (handwash) all of my batiks -including fat quarters. I use my pure white dish pan - put in a little warm water with a drop or two or liquid dish soap (Dawn) or Tide - swish the still folded fat quarter in the water and see if it bleeds. If not, then I rinse in cool water and wring dry gently - then roll in thick towels - then hang them up on an inside clothesline. Very little wrinkling. I do iron when I use the fabric later.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:04 PM

I agree -- I don't want any surprises so I wash before I use the fabric -- especially batik and flannel. I didn't used to and paid the price.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:47 PM

I have to say that even with batiks I don't prewash unless it fails the "white paper" test--my friends that own a quilt shop say that with quality fabric, you rub a piece of white paper very hard on the fabric--if you get ANY dye, you need to wash, otherwise you a good to go(unless of course you have a sensitivity or allergy to fabric chemicals)
Old 10-11-2016, 08:14 AM

I personally don't use batiks, but the bleeding would make me want to prewash if nothing else. I personally prewash everything, even pre-cuts, they can be put in water and dried over towels.