Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to fix, vs when to leave as is. >

When to fix, vs when to leave as is.

When to fix, vs when to leave as is.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

I think it is all about you and what you think will please you. If 95% of us say it's okay, galloping horse, etc and it still bugs you then you will change it. If 95% of us say oh you must change it and you look at it again and are satisfied then that is your answer. I try to get things as perfect as I can which might not be as perfect as the next person but unless something is obviously "akilter" I leave it. You will figure out what you want to do.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

I find that the amount you are off on a block tends to multiply as you start to join the blocks. It's just not fun for me when I have to struggle to make everything fit due to cutting, sewing or pressing errors. If it's more than a thread or two off, I fix it.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:04 AM

If you can live with it, leave it if you can't fix it. For me it all depends upon use. If it's a hanger piece that will be displayed, I make certain every seam is as perfect as I can make it. If it is a user for a throw quilt, I don't bother. Throw quilts are seldom examined in my house.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I just finished a quilt top for my new great grandson that has one block upside down. A glaring mistake. I was thinking about fixing it but my grand daughter laughed and said "leave it Gramma, it's so you!" So I did.

Cari
I did the same thing with a quilt for one of my grandsons - after I had most of the rows sewn together and up on the design wall I noticed that one block was upside down. I was going to change it, but then remembered what I read about Amish quilts - nobody but God is perfect so they always leave an "imperfection" in their quilts. So the upside down block stayed that way, but unless I pointed it out or you were looking for it, you would never know.

However, even if it would have been obvious, I still would have left it.

Now having said that, I made a quilt for one of my cousins and I really wanted it to be *right*. After I had almost the entire thing done I realized that 1) I wasn't at all happy with my fabric choices, and 2) I had sewn two blocks in with the fabric wrong side up (I was really tired when I did that. )

Fixing it would have been a real pain, so I went and bought more fabric and re-made the entire quilt. The quilt turned out beautiful and I was much happier with it. I do have to say though, that there were several blocks where the points didn't match up perfectly and I just let them stay that way. Once the quilt was completely finished and quilted, you couldn't see those without looking very close and I doubt that a non-quilter would ever even see them.

Last edited by SherylM; 10-13-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I don't make a quilt to see how perfect I can make it. I don't like to see or do sloppy piecing though. A miss match isn't a big deal on one or two seams.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:10 AM

My standards have changed as my piecing has improved. Things that didn't bother me on earlier quilts do bother me now, and I re-do them if I know how to make them right. I still don't understand exactly why certain things happen (like losing points). I mean, I know the various reasons why a point can be cut off, but I don't take a block apart if I'm not sure where I went wrong and how to fix it. I look at every quilt as a learning experience, and know that the next one will be better.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:09 AM

Over half the 4 patch blocks have seems that meet in the center, which to me is an improvement since usually I am never able to get them to match. Since this is a small baby quilt that I'm making to practice various skills on, using cheap fabric I'm going to leave the squares as is, and the ones that are off the most, use for the boarder.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:04 AM

I have a favorite phrase when dealing with my quilting snafus......can I live with it? If the answer is no....I rip it out. If the answer is yes, I just leave it. It's funny the things that bother me. Cut off corners don't bother me or when my squared don't quite meet.....but once I had the borders on a quilt using a directional tulip fabric.....I was sandwiching the quilt when I noticed that one border was going the wrong way....that bothered me a lot....go figure.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:05 PM

depends on the intended purpose of the quilt--if it's staying at "home" and going to be used often and washed often I don't worry about it. I've also had a couple of UFO's that got started when I was first learning and just finished recently and I didn't bother to go back and redo that work that was less than stellar---figured it showed how I had progressed! And once it gets quilted you by be surprised at how much you DON"T see.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:14 PM

Are you on a galloping horse while looking at it? If so, leave it alone.