Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Rolling up your 2.5" strips >

Rolling up your 2.5" strips

Rolling up your 2.5" strips

Old 10-15-2016, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

You can't really see them well when they are rolled. So... I have mine stacked on their sides in a plastic drawer unit. They are folded in quarters (halved and then halved again) which makes the strips about 11" long for the drawers. If you have a full drawer they stand neatly on their side, and you can easily flip through them to see exactly what you have.

If I haven't opened the roll yet, I leave it out on my fabric shelf because those perfect rolls look so pretty.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:18 PM

I keep my strips cut and on a hanger! They are always straight and ready
Old 10-16-2016, 12:43 PM

I have a couple of the ArtBin strip boxes and really like them.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:46 PM
mac

Actually I like mine folded flat on top of each other like showbizgirl described. Although Jellyrolls look pretty because they are so neat, I find that they really don't show the fabric that well. Once you have them out and folded on top of each other (folded in quarters) they give you enough of a visual to see the colors and how they interact with each other.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:00 PM

I cut 2-1/2" strips to piece Log Cabin Quilt Blocks. I use a long quilt pin and pin the first strip to a toilet paper roll, roll it on as neatly as possible, then pin the next strip and roll to the end, continue pinning the beginning of a strip to the end of the previous strip. Then, you can either stack them in a box or on dowel rods to keep them neat!
Old 10-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I line up the folded ends and roll from that end, so the selvedges will roll last. The staggering will happen automatically. The other trick is to not create the roll when the strips are lying flat. Roll a couple of inches, then working on a slick surface, like a kitchen counter, tip the roll so the long cut end is against the counter and continue to roll. This way, the cut edges are always lined up. I can't get them as tight as the commercial ones, but they do look pretty neat.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:47 AM

I like to keep mine rolled because it's easy to see relative values of the strips at a glance when I can only see the edges.

Rob
Old 10-22-2016, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

These are pricey IMO because you can get a stacker that's about 3" deep, 10" wide and 12" long for the same price as on of those strip bins. Walmart has them. It's called "Super Stacker". I got one right in the store and they're clear.
Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
I know that ArtBin has created "strip" satchels now. I've seen them at JoAnns (http://www.joann.com/artbin-transluc...F-D0F665A1B291) and they are at WalMart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/ArtBin-Fa...ucent/46260900).

JoAnns is having a sale online.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
These are pricey IMO because you can get a stacker that's about 3" deep, 10" wide and 12" long for the same price as on of those strip bins. Walmart has them. It's called "Super Stacker". I got one right in the store and they're clear.
The SuperStacker you're talking about is "document" sized, and I think that looks pretty cool!! It's only $4.70 at WalMart. That might actually make a good "project box", to put finished blocks in to keep them flat.

I've been on an organizing binge the past few days (you may have seen my post). I grabbed 8 plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store, only $1 each. Depending on how the organizing goes, I'll probably be using these... but MAYBE the SuperStacker.

As far as rolling your own jellyroll, start with everything lined up together - the bulk from rolling will automatically "stagger" the strips. I used a knitting needle to get it started - then once that was going, I set it on the raw edge and continued to "pat" the edge as I rolled. Looked pretty good!
Old 10-23-2016, 11:04 AM

Where is Mr. Rogers when you need a trip to the factory so you can get the how they do it story.