Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hancocks of Paducah or Marshell Dry Good? >

Hancocks of Paducah or Marshell Dry Good?

Hancocks of Paducah or Marshell Dry Good?

Old 10-24-2016, 08:04 AM

purpledog: I felt the exact same way when I went to HR Harris in MN.....so overwhelming I couldn't make up my mind it was spinning so quickly. Then I got home with precious little....regretting it!
Old 10-24-2016, 11:12 AM

I think Hancock's is wonderful!
Old 10-24-2016, 12:41 PM

I am sure that I will get some 'stitch-ripping on this...haha..I have been to Hancock's, while it does have a ton of fabric, I was not impressed at all with the store lay out - and that in itself turned me off. I was expecting more of a quilt store theme, not a warehouse feeling.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I can't imagine buying a bolt of any fabric since I get bored if I use a fabric in more than one quilt so that wasn't an attraction.
I go with 2 friends and we buy 15 yard bolts. We split each bolt to five yards each. Or three if more friends come and want to split. Just a month ago we boughtcolor ways of Electric Feather by Caryl Bryer Fallart fabric for @2.98 a yard per bolt. I have three yards of each of the main colors in the line. At the quilt shop the same fabric is over $9 a yard.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-24-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:47 PM

It was fun going to Marshalls. I have been to Hancocks and the quilt museum on one of our first trips south several years ago - spent about $400 and still have lots of the fabric I bought there.

I would agree that Marshells has more blender type fabric. I wasn't super impressed, but did find quite a bit I wanted for a special project - smaller prints that are hard to find other places. I spent about $130, so not a whole lot of money, but it's a good stack of fabric so I'm happy. I also bought some neutrals, and would have bought more but I have plenty in my stash already.

So far, I'd say my favorite place would be SR Harris, then MSQC, then Hancocks and then Marshells. They are all worth going to, just different. I'd love to go to Keepsake, but DH refuses to travel to that part of the country.

Now the big thing is to make quilts with what I bought. I really do have no business walking into a fabric store, but I sure do love it all!
Old 10-24-2016, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

If you sew for children you will find a TON of good quality fabrics for $2.98 and $3.98 at Marshalls.

They also have great prices on 30 yard rolls of battings. I buy my 80/20 there, and it's fabulous. I also buy polyester for charity quilts for around $35 a roll.

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 10-24-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:42 PM

I've been to Hancock's of Paducah and was amazed with the selection, the prices - not so much. I do a lot of charity quilts and have bought from Marshalls Dry Goods (online) and have always been happy with the results. I buy bolts of a beige blender for backings and it's wonderful. Visiting Marshalls in person is on my bucket list
Old 10-24-2016, 05:57 PM

Have not been to Marshalls, but did go to Paducah and loved it, also went to the quilt museum and the water walk was n ice also which ever you just have fun!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:01 PM

I went to Hancocks of Paducah last year while we were on vacation at Land Between The Lakes. It was AMAZING. My jaw hit the floor as soon as I walked in. I had to circle the whole store a couple of times just to get a feel for everything, like a kid in a candy store. Three hours and one very tired husband later, I was finally ready to pay for my treasures. They had a sale on batiks at the time, so I bought several yards in different yummy colors. I also found some Kaffe Fassett fat quarter bundles that were must-haves. The sale prices on the batiks were good ($5-$6/yard, if I remember correctly), but their other prices were regular retail price. I didn't really see any "door buster" bargains, even on the remnant tables. The remnants were stacked so high that they were difficult to look through, but maybe they just had a lot of remnants that day.

They DEFINITELY have a jaw-dropping selection of fabrics!
Old 10-25-2016, 04:37 AM

I would vote for Paducah because of the quilt museum. i enjoyed Hancocks, but the quilt museum was unforgettable.