Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing thread >

sewing thread

sewing thread

Old 10-26-2016, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
I use Aurifil thread for piecing as well as Mettler silk finish. Both are 50wt
Also Prescencia! All 3 are comparable to me. Not a fan of Gutterman tho I just went throught 5 spools of making a tote. My local shop stocks the small spools and I wanted colored thread for my project. Two colors needed. It worked fine too.

Sandy
Old 10-26-2016, 03:02 AM

For piecing I generally use Precencia or Aurifil 50 wt.I recently purchased some Masterpiece from Superior Threads.
I use Coats and Clark Duel Duty to do hand binding because I think it is stronger. I use the Duel Duty for garment sewing. I like to use heavier weight cotton for machine quilting. But, I know a variety of thread is necessary for any sewing projects. I don't know about any of the rest of you but I know I spend a 'small fortune' on thread.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:19 AM

I have used Prescencia that I bought at an Augusta Cole workshop. She is coming to my guild so I will get more. But my favorite is Soft Touch by YLI. It sinks right into the seam. 60 wt is best for piecing. I prefer So Fine #50 for longarm quilting.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:27 AM

Connecting Threads because of the many colors and price is reasonable, sometimes Aurifil if it's a certain color that Connecting Threads doesn't carry. But always 50wt cotton.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I use 60wt Presencia cotton. It was recommended by a quilting instructor. I love how easy it is to get my seam allowance right when using this thin thread. I have 2 colors, a taupey-beige and white.
Me too... Ever since taking a class from Hariett Hargrave, that is all I use with good results.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:22 AM

I use Superior threads. They are pricey but after looking at these answers, I believe I will try Connecting Threads. Started out using C and C and never had any trouble.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:51 AM

Always use connecting threads. Price is right and they have probably around a hundred colors. I sometimes free motion quilt with it too. Just remember it can be a little linty so will need to clean your bobbin area after each project.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:31 AM

My preference is Aurifil 50wt, but have bought some Connecting Threads to try.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:38 AM

I use connecting threads for most piecing. I really love Aurifil for applique & quilting & piecing
Old 10-26-2016, 12:20 PM

For piecing, it depends on what I'm working on. If I'm doing something where I need to be super accurate with seams and matching points, then I use aurifil 50 (2ply). If I'm working on a crumb quilt, string pieceing or doing improvisational piecing, then I might use Coats and Clark dual duty, aurifil, any of a number of vintage threads I've gotten from yard sales, eBay or estate sales-- just depends.

For quilting--again, it depends. If I'm working on a quilt that is to be used I will generally go with something like Isacord since it's good and strong and I know it will hold up through washing, etc. For art pieces, I use whatever thread will give me the effect I want--if I want the quilting to only show as a texture or for SID I might use something like wonderfil/invisafil (100wt) since they won't show at all. I've used silk, embroidery poly's, cotton, etc. in different weights depending on how much sheen I wanted, or for textural differences.

Rob