Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Visiting quilt stores >

Visiting quilt stores

Visiting quilt stores

Old 10-29-2016, 03:45 PM

DH and I just got back from our vacation. We visited several LQS, and rarely have a bad experience. DH loves talking machines, and if there is an LA, he loves checking it out and seeing how it compares to my HQ.

It's so fun seeing the different "personalities" of the quilt shops.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:41 PM

A few years ago we drove through Oregon and California and I had mixed feelings about the shops. I, too, spent more money in the shops that were friendly and one shop I REALLY wanted to buy a pattern and all the fabric for one of their quilts (I'm talking a potential $200 sale) but when I asked about the pattern and fabric the folks working in the shop were so busy talking to each other (I was the only customer) that I could not get waited on. DH thought it was great, but not me...
Old 10-30-2016, 12:03 AM
Power Poster

Recently there was a shop hop in our area. We could not get over the difference in the shops from a few years ago. The owners are still friendly etc. but they are not caring all the fabric they use to. Things are more spread out to fill the spaces. am afraid at todays prices they are hanging on by a thread. I am worried we are going to loose some. Hope not. I sure try to do my part to help them.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
We are losing 2 of our favorites in Illinois and are really sad.. both are due to the need for retirement of the owners and both are very profitable stores. The owner of Susan's" in Fulton tried without success to only sell to another quilt shop owner. The problem seems not to be the economy but the fact most of us quilters are getting older and there are not a lot of younger quilters coming up behind us! I was given that information from another shop owner and it makes sense to me when I think about the attendance at the quilt shows I attend during the year. So, what we need to do is recruit some younger quilters. I think I have managed to inspire my DIL. Think of it! I love my LQS and I shop there regularly but I have a large stash as most of us do so my shopping doesn't really keep her doors open!
I agree with everything you say. Also, The schools are not placing a value on practical skills and (shop clases...home ec) thus the exposure to sewing is practiclly nill. Very sad. Perhaps kids would have a diversion from screen time and drug use if they were offered alternative activities. Yes..a general statement I know....Not everyone is athletic either. Including me. Yes, think of the ages of shop owners and their customers. Father Time keeps ticking.....

sandy
Old 10-30-2016, 02:46 AM

If you are near Port Lavaca, Texas. Visit "Beefore It's A Quilt and Gifts" Very friendly people there and the owner is a good friend of mine. Very friendly store and always good help if needed. Jean's helper, Kathy is also good help in find colors and fabric that will help in your project. For small LQS this is a very good one to take the time to visit. Small shop Big on friendliness.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:14 AM

What seems to me the case in small towns is that the quilt shops are off the beaten path and if you are traveling thru you would never know there is a shop in the town as there is nothing advertising there is a quilt shop there. Some of these are the neatest cutest quilt shops but there is no advertising signs or signs for people traveling thru. Put a quilt shop in a busy mall and I think it would be a busy shop. But I know the cost of advertising and being in a mall is just too much overhead for quilt shop owners. Just a sign along the road of a quilt shop ahead while traveling thru the country would get me (and (hubby) to stop. Just my opinion.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:31 AM

This is my kind of thread! I agree with everything said here. I, too, am sensitive to the environment in each shop. When staff rudely ignores me, my wallet doesn't feel any more welcome than I do. I also LOVE Mary Jo's. My little sister surprised me with a road trip there when I was visiting her. Believe it or not, I was so overwhelmed that I only bought one piece of fabric! I've visited some awesome shops in the Denver, CO area..most notably Harriet's Treadle Arts...where I was lucky enough to take a hand quilting class. Now, two weeks from today, my quilt bestie and I are taking a 1300 mile road trip to Missouri. You guessed it! To a retreat at the Missouri Star! To say we're excited is such an understatement. Has anyone else been there? Taken any classes?
Old 10-30-2016, 01:30 PM

I am from SC, and I have a plan to hit all of the stores I possibly can. I do work full-time, but plan to take off work for a couple of days and do at it! I have a large stash, but I also try to invest in my LQS. We lost the one close to me, and I now travel upstate GA to get what I want/need.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:31 PM

Quilt shops in British Columbia have banded together and offer a row-by-row experience for guests. In order to participate, you must visit the shop in person and they will give you the pattern free. Or, you can buy a kit but it must also be done in person. Each shop features a winner - the first person to bring in a complete quilt (8 rows) - wins 6 fat quarters. This is done all over Canada and the USA, but this year it seemed really big in BC. There is ONE quilt shop in the Yukon and they participated with BC. I was lucky enough to pick up their pattern:-)
https://www.rowbyrowexperience.com/bc.htm
Old 11-01-2016, 05:12 PM

I finally got a chance to visit our newest quilt shop in town. It was a great experience. Everything was beautifully displayed. Owner was very friendly and helpful. She offers lessons, classes and longarm services. She told me that she offers a place for a small group to get together and sew and even has a kitchen (no charge). Please visit her shop if you are ever in NW Indiana. The name of the shop is Cotton Cottage quilts. I will be going back!