Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shred Quilt Batting? >

Shred Quilt Batting?

Shred Quilt Batting?

Old 11-03-2016, 05:57 AM

Default Shred Quilt Batting?

In my constant quest to use all my scraps of everything to make something, I've been trying to figure out what to do with my small scraps of quilt batting. I know that it is made not to shred, but has anyone found an easy way to shred it to use as stuffing? I have sat and pulled it apart into smaller and smaller chunks, but that's hard on the hands. Just curious...
Old 11-03-2016, 06:07 AM

Leftovers I use for things like pincushions. I cut small pieces using small scissors with a soft foam handle.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:09 AM

I plan to use my leftovers to make dog beds. Instead of shredding it, I'll just stack some layers and run my rotary cutter over it to make about 1" + pieces

Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 11-03-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:12 AM

I use anything larger than 11" square to make dog toys, and now I want to use the things smaller than that as stuffing in small squeaky or cat nip toys. 1" wouldn't be small enough for that, I don't think. I'll have to try whacking it up with a cutter into little pieces; hadn't thought of that. I had it in my mind that I needed to get the scrim off so it would be fluffy.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

​I have cut up 80/20 scraps with my rotary cutter. I used them to stuff a small pillow but it was kind of lumpy. Make sure if you use your rotary cutter, to turn over your mat and use the back because it makes a mess of your mat.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Vistacruise View Post
I use anything larger than 11" square to make dog toys, and now I want to use the things smaller than that as stuffing in small squeaky or cat nip toys. 1" wouldn't be small enough for that, I don't think. I'll have to try whacking it up with a cutter into little pieces; hadn't thought of that. I had it in my mind that I needed to get the scrim off so it would be fluffy.
In a tour of the WARM Co., my impression is that the fluffy stuff is needle punched into the scrim that looks like a giant sheet of plastic for cross stitch. Before I'd sit and pick that apart, I'd grow, pick, and card my own cotton.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:46 AM

I just stitch my scrap batting together using a zigzag stitch and use it in art quilts-- I've got some pieces where the batting was stitched together using pieces that were less than 1" wide---don't think it would be very comfortable for a quilt that was going to be used, but for a wall quilt, it works great and it gives me some mindless sewing to do on those days when I'm not feeling very creative but want to sew.

Rob
Old 11-03-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I just stitch my scrap batting together using a zigzag stitch and use it in art quilts-- I've got some pieces where the batting was stitched together using pieces that were less than 1" wide---don't think it would be very comfortable for a quilt that was going to be used, but for a wall quilt, it works great and it gives me some mindless sewing to do on those days when I'm not feeling very creative but want to sew.

Rob
**gasp** You? Not feeling creative? Let me send some chicken soup, you dear poor sick soul.....
LOL
Old 11-03-2016, 09:34 AM

I stuff my little pieces into my dog's bed. She like the lumpyness of it.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:34 AM

I do the rotary cutter thing for pillows for the little scraps, the big ones I put together for practice sandwiches for fmq