Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Experience or advice with a Bernina Bernett 80e? >

Experience or advice with a Bernina Bernett 80e?

Experience or advice with a Bernina Bernett 80e?

Old 11-08-2016, 11:57 AM

Default Experience or advice with a Bernina Bernett 80e?

I saw that a local moving sale has a bernina berrnet 80e sewing machine. I have never seen or heard of it, but I'm interested in maybe getting it as second machine for a back up. I know it's not a the latest and greatest machine out there, but have any of you fellow quilters had good or bad experiences with it? About how much do you think would be an honest price? Thanks for any advice!
Old 11-08-2016, 12:14 PM

I don't know anything about this machine but here are some reviews on it that might help you make your decision.

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/be...nette-80e.html
Old 11-08-2016, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

Things may have changed, but when I worked in a sewing machine shop more than 15 years ago we really did not like the Bernette machines. People thought they were getting a toned-down Bernina but actually they are completely different machines except for the branding. My personal opinion is that a Brother off of Walmart shelves would be better than a Bernette.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:09 AM

My daughter has a Bernette which I have used. I was not impressed. It locked up tight for her. She had not been using it much and it needed to be oiled. I did get it in working order but the sewing quality is not impressive!
Old 11-10-2016, 06:38 AM

I have a Bernette and frankly, it's pretty awful. Even my wonderful Bernina dealer says to not buy them. I bought mine before I started quilting and it's just a terrible machine.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:18 AM

Thanks so much for all your advice! I think you saved me money and many headaches. Guess who's not going to the moving sale tomorrow?
Old 11-10-2016, 10:25 AM

I have a 1999 Bernina, steel workings, an absolute work horse ... but very heavy and naturally, my quilting room is on the 2nd floor, as far from the exit doors as possible. I have a Bernette Seville 4, and use it for travel. Love it! It is a backup when the Big Bernina is in the shop for a tune-up.
Like everything else, it's a personal prefference. I have gone thru three "mini" machines. My local Bernina dealer had a sale on something I needed, and the Seville and other Berninas were also on some promotional. Bought the Sevill4. Berninas like to be oiled and I think I have each on a schedule ... it's like servicing your car: X number of hours = a certified servicing. Also, the (big) Bernina is not portable for me, the plastic and smaller bernette is light weight and very portable. The big Bernina is Swiss made where as the small, plastic bernette is made in China.[h=2]Popular Forum Topics[/h]
Old 11-10-2016, 01:28 PM

I have a Bernette 715 from the early 90s. It's mostly metal and weighs a ton and is a work horse. It's a great backup.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:06 PM

Bernette's are not Bernina's. They are made for and sold by Bernina but they are not engineered by Bernina. Bernina has a minimum set of specifications and a Chinese manufacturer makes machines to that specification. There are much better machines on the market in the same price range.