Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you think your sewing machine is like your best friend >

Do you think your sewing machine is like your best friend

Do you think your sewing machine is like your best friend

Old 11-20-2016, 03:03 PM

I have been sewing since I was 8 (I'm 58 now) and have always loved sewing. I had a traumatic brain injury 9 years ago but have always retained my sewing part of my brain, it wasn't even touched.
I used that machine at times when I felt like I couldn't do anything else.
Since the car accident, I have an inability to make choices, not so much now as in the beginning of my recovery. Joann's used to be a wonderful place to get my creative juices flowing, after the accident, it was torture. It's so much better now and I do credit my sewing machine for that. Using it helped me to realize choices are opportunities, not torture, it's okay to make wrong choices in sewing!
So, I think my machine is a bit more than a friend, but I don't know the word that would describe our rerlationship.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:10 PM

At 78-years old, I have to say that I love to sew and I am so grateful for my machines. I believe they have given me the most pleasure (outside my family and friends). I would be lost without the ability to sew. Because of my age, I try to just keep sewing as no one knows when those abilities may come to an end. The one that I do most of my quilting on is my Brothers Innova-IS. I also have a low end embroidery machine, which I have only used twice but so happy to have it. I have a Pfaff that I started my quilting with and that baby would sew over anything without a problem, however, I could never get it to cooperate when learning FMQ. I also have my very first sewing machine that I bought in 1959 that I used all the time to sew clothes as I was a single mom with 3 children and had to work. It still works and I may ask my children to bury it with me. I doubt anyone else in my family will want it.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:19 PM

LOL sometimes I want to boop my friend the sewing machine on the head.. but yes it is my best friend..