Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing board >

Ironing board

Ironing board

Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I also got the big one at Walmart. My frame is fine and I added an extra layer padding. I really like it--especially for the price.
I did the same as GingerK - have had that Walmart ironing board for many years, maybe 15 or more.

Finding an affordable wide ironing board cover that lasted more than 6 months proved more difficult but then I took a chance with a brand called Brabantia (on line thru Amazon) and ordered the metallized one (without an underlay/pad since I didn't need one). It is great, have had it a year without signs of wear and very little build up of starch plus it actually fit well without wrestling to get it on. Would order again for sure.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:45 PM

I just made a big board to go on top of my ironing board out of plywood, my hubby just got it out of storage, been there three 4 years since we moved cities and I just fell in love all over again. cheap to make but well worth it and you still have the little one when you need it
Old 11-30-2016, 09:31 PM

Mr friend's DH made us the big board for ironing fabric. It is fantastic. I just place it on my ironing board when I need it and it rests in a corner when I don't. Since I still iron shirts on a regular basis I cannot give up the standard style ironing board.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:33 PM

Ditto.
I made one for myself, and gave it to my Friend. I will make myself another one. With all the right tools & fabric, I had it cut and done on less than an hour.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:07 AM

I use the vintage Mary Proctor ironing board that was left at our 1st house when we bought it. It is the most study ironing board I've ever seen. A couple years ago, my new quiliting buddy wanted one, so we looked on eBay, and they were asking around $130 for a decades old ironing board. Wouldn't you know we ran across one that looks brand new at a thrift store this summer ... For $5!. It's in so much better condition than mine is. She got a great deal!
Old 12-01-2016, 04:15 AM

Thanks for your replies everyone - I am learning so much about ironing boards as I consider my choices!
Old 12-01-2016, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

Read the reviews on Amazon for this board. All the pros and cons are there from people that have this board.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Path50 View Post
Wheezy Rider - I saw those ironing boards with a fan and heater when I was looking - I never knew such a thing existed! Do you like it?

I didn't know anyone except companies like Laurastar made them any more. A Pfaff dealer was cleaning out his storage and gave me one.

Yes, I like it. I'd looked at some of the other boards with a tray and I was afraid to even think about putting the Rowenta Steam Generator tank on it. This board held the generator and anything else I could put there. I have used the fan, but only when I have the original cover on the board. I'm trying to figure out if the cover I have now would help or hinder the fan. There is a company that sells very good covers. They are at some shows. I wash the covers and trade them off.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:32 AM

My husband and I made a large ironing board as DogHouseMom did. I covered the plywood with one layer of batting and then cotton canvas (Hobby Lobby with a coupon). We used 2 x 2 strips of wood to fit it to the ironging board so it can not fall off. However, since then I purchased a dining server with drawers to hold quilting supplies. The ironing board sits on top of the server. I use it just like a regular ironing board.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:54 AM

I got ironing board cover fabric--the kind that reflects heat--at Fabricland (in Canada) It was $25 a meter and half that on Members' sale day. It was wide enough so that I really only used about 3/4 of a meter. I laid the original cover on for a template and added a folded strip of broadcloth around the edge as the guide for the gathering string--which I replaced with sturdy elastic. Have been using it for well over a year and it has held up very well.