Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recycled tablecloth >

Recycled tablecloth

Recycled tablecloth

Old 12-01-2016, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewmuch View Post
Its so true what you all have said...I grew up with women who sewed, knitted, crocheted and quilted and was given many beautiful things that they made. I have inherited many crocheted doilies and table cloths don't use them but won't get rid of them...my grands had interest in quilting when they were young, now they don't have time....but when older they hopefully it will interest them...so sad
I am one who believes we are better off trying to interest middle aged women more than younger women in quilting. Middle aged--women whose kids are no longer little but rather, getting ready to fly from the nest. They have time and usually have more money than younger women. I know, with 5 kids, I'm kind of glad I wasn't quilting when they were all small--it would have been a terrible struggle to spend the time with them that I should have.

As to creativity...I'm reasonably sure the younger generation can be just as creative as they want to be. Not all have the same talents--and where I live, I was shocked to learn that some women here (Poland) couldn't even bake a cake! (moms of kids in my kids' school class.) I didn't know anyone in the states that didn't know how to make a cake.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:21 PM

My great grandmother was a milliner, she went to Oklahoma to claim land during the the Oklahoma land rush with her brother. (She was 18 and he was 16.) She supported them being a seamstress. Her daughter (my grandmother) was a flapper during the roaring 20's - and went to work outside her home. She always thought it was silly to cut fabric apart only to sew it back together. My mother was a great at sewing - she made incredible clothes for my sisters and I - but she didn't care for it (but she loved to buy fabric). My aunt didn't like to sew - she was a research scientist at UCLA.

Some people like to sew, some people don't. My eldest sister tried, but just never caught on (my mom and I got her thru Home Ec by taking it out and sewing it back together the way it was supposed to be - a long story), my other sister does quilt, and is really enjoying it. Most of my friends don't sew, that is why I was so thrilled to find a quilting buddy.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:29 AM
Suz

Things of value: A friend said that when they cleared out a family member's home, they dropped hurricane lamps out the window and allowed them to smash below. There had been several stored in the attic for years. No one wanted them. So, so sad!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:43 AM

One of my fondest memories of my DGM is of her sitting in a rocking chair crocheting. She worked at her own embroidery shop and was home because she broke her ankle getting on a bus to go to work. Buses were the main method of transportation many years ago. This was in the mid 50's. History lesson for today is now over. lol
Sue
Old 12-02-2016, 04:34 PM

I would love to see photos....I have several of my Grandmothers table cloths and napkins.and would like to do something with them instead of leaving them in a box in the closet....Love to repurpose old things to be loved again...
Old 12-02-2016, 05:55 PM

Oh great idea thanks so much for posting I was just about to send three big ones to Goodwill.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:17 PM

madamekelly: I think it's sweet that the quilt was given to someone who liked and appreciated it. Yes, it's sad for you, but it's great it was given to someone who admired it. Your niece has asked you to teach her how to quilt so you have the opportunity to teach her how to make a quilt in her preferred colors and pattern.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:31 AM

I would prefer to see people pursuing the activities they love and engaging in projects that inspire them. For some it's a needle and thread. Others are thrilled by technology, robotics, or far flung things to come.

There's a lot of romanticizing about the way things were. Oftentimes people did these things out of necessity and cost efficiency. For many today it's a matter of choice and that's the difference.

I employ many of the activities of yesteryear: cooking and seasonal eating, sewing, baking, preserving, DIY detergents/cleaners/scents, gardening, soapmaking, scrapbooking, papercrafting, and needlework to name a few. But in the same breath I write, can build a website, repair my computer, use graphic software, golf, travel, and know my way around a camera.

And I'm not a retiree or an empty nester. My way of being is a matter of choice and the provision of time that I've been afforded. That's the difference. If I had little ones in tow, work demands, or other things on my plate my list would be significantly shorter.