Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Craft shows success this season >

Craft shows success this season

Craft shows success this season

Old 12-03-2016, 02:51 PM

I have done craft shows for about 25 years, when I first started there were not many stalls and a lot of people coming through the door, then the economy started to dive and there were a lot of stalls and very few people coming through the door. I have done large three day fairs and smaller country style markets and have found you get a lot of stalls selling what ever the craft trend is at the time. I have tried to do something different or something that not many people are prepared to make. For 16 years I did dolls clothes to suit the 11 1/2" Fashion Doll (i.e. Barbie etc.)and did very well, then did a big weekend Christmas Market $500 stall fee and didn't cover cost. Time to move on from dolls clothes, tried handbags, didn't last long, wheat bags did well for a very long time but then ran out of motivation to make them, then I got hooked on Quilts, but people didn't want to pay the prices. So to use up my very large stash I started making Mug Rugs, Mug Cozies, Toilet Roll Covers, Wine Glass Coasters that fit over the base of the wine glass (I got hooked on making these and at this stage have made over 700, yes 700 of them), Tissue pack holders, Pencil Rolls (which I seem to sell more of as Crochet Hook Holders) Cable Keepers, Mobile Phone Rests, IPad Pillows, Tummy Time Quilts, Pet Quilts, Table Runners and Table Centers. The smaller items also used up a lot of the wadding left over from making quilts. I started out with only a few of the items and each month introduced another item to the point that people would come to my stall and ask "What have you got new this month?" so now I have to book a double stall just to be able to display all the different things I make and it seems to be working for me as I am doing quite well this year when most are struggling. I have struggled at odd times but keep doing the markets because of the friendships I have built up with the other stall holders and for the most part they are willing to share information. Because I make things that are a little different to most other stall holders I now get people coming to my stall with a sample and ask me to make more of them in a specific color, or show me a picture and asking me to make one.
Just a quick note, I have hardly made a dent in my stash but I have managed to use up all the scrap wadding.
Hope everyone has a great Christmas and a prosperous 2017.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:53 PM

I quit about 15 years ago....China came to stay and nobody wanted to pay for material and effort!
Old 12-03-2016, 05:05 PM

I participated in my community craft fair today. Sales were dismal, and I barely recouped my table fee. Several vendors packed up and left hours before the end of the fair. Two ladies near my table said they have been selling at craft fairs for 15 years and plan to participate in the community craft fair again next year. I haven't decided if I want to do this again.

Last year, I participated in my company's craft fair and made $200 selling holiday coasters. Today, none of the coasters sold. Too bad I retired this year or I would have participated in the company craft fair again.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:07 PM

I love to go to Craft shows, and usually buy something, but I've never had a table. I went to a craft show today and bought 2 framed ceramic pictures that look like little "house" quilts, I spent more than I normally would, but the interest is there for the right products.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:52 PM

Just my thought, but I do see a brisk business for hand made items at local church bazaars. They usually sell tables cheap (last one cost me ten per table) and they are not over saturated with similar items. The money from the local one supports our city soup kitchen.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:51 PM

Our housing development in Ontario decided to not have a bazar or craft show this year because of low sales. Years ago people would be lined up before we opened and ate a lunch too. The craft group believes the Dollar Stores offers have stopped sales which is what I believe too.
People can get different colors of things whenever they are out already shopping not waiting for a special date. They don't care if these little things are handmade because they change their theme the next year or season.
I personally miss them too.

K
Old 12-03-2016, 08:38 PM

Last year I did great at our local craft fair, this year not so much. I did better than a lot of the other vendors, but the crowd wasn't there. I just went to two big area craft shows and I noticed it wasn't nearly as crowded as it has been in the past. I think alot of it, people are downsizing or minimalizing on stuff. Younger people aren't intested in handmade or crafts so much. For me, I usually buy one or two things when I go. My last craft show I attended a weekend ago, I tt one vendor and she said she hadn' even made her booth rent back and that was at the end of the fair weekend. She was so heartbroken, I did buy a few things from her that hopefully helped her come closer to meeting her booth fee and wished her well. Maybe it is changing with the times too.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:12 PM

I have done 1 show for 7 yrs. The 1st Sat. in Dec. is 'crafty day'. There are 5 craft shows & a Native Market. Tried this for a few yrs. but was not profitable. I do like knowing where my favorite people are & I always buy something from them so they will hopefully continue. I have noticed food, lotions & soaps are selling the best. I did 2 extra shows this yr & they were well attended & I did well.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

i went to a craft show this week-end and was pleasantly surprised. Everything had to be homemade-everything. In our area crafters have gotten away from home-made and just added to ready made items. My friends and I had a real nice time and we all found something to purchase.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:37 PM

Maybe with all the interest in Pinterest and other sites, more people are making their own gifts. There are a lot of craft fairs in this area at this time of year. I can usually find something nice to buy.