Tinsel on Tree

Old 12-04-2016, 06:45 PM

Oh I have to have the tinsel, tree looks naked and unfinished without it!!!! I am in my early sixties too, Dad was real particular about the placement, we got fussed at if we threw it at the tree!!!
Old 12-05-2016, 03:57 AM

To me a tree is not complete unless it has tinsel. Unfortunately, no one does it any more. And I Absolutely hate LED lights on a tree. They are so cold.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:12 AM

I took my silver snowflake garland , cut it in 6-8 inch segments and hang it like tinsel. same shimmering ..effect ,less mess and reuseable. I have 3 fur babies and they only set under the tree, don't try and climb it or knock off the ornaments, I got lucky, my babies are so sweet, Also went to Bronners ,worlds largest christmas store last year ,couldn't afford them ,but was beautiful.Went home pulled out my stuff , and realizes I had found Bronners ornament at garage sales for 1$ a box, did the happy dance,I nearly cried, So know my tree compares to theirs at a fraction of the cost
Old 12-05-2016, 09:27 AM

My mom used to decorate our tree with tinsel, one strand at a time, it was beautiful. After Christmas, she'd very carefully take the tinsel off of the tree and string it over a cardboard covered coat hanger so we'd have it for the following year. A few years back, I tried the "new" tinsel and thought it was horrible. So much static cling, it was almost impossible to hang. I finally purchased several hundred clear icicles and they seem to do the trick. So pretty on the tree, but never as beautiful as the original tinsel from days gone by.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
To me a tree is not complete unless it has tinsel. Unfortunately, no one does it any more. And I Absolutely hate LED lights on a tree. They are so cold.
I'm with you 100%.....I hate LED lights,they're horrendous!The blue actually gives me a headache.....awful idea!!!!!
Old 12-05-2016, 12:20 PM

We gave up on tinsel several years ago because there was some campaign against it and was impossible to find. My DH decided he liked the tree better without so you can really see the ornaments on the tree. Can't remember when he stopped putting the garland on the tree. Just one year it just didn't hang well, so it went in the trash, we finished the tree and that was it. I would love to have a real tree but my DH worked with a bunch of firefighters and was warned against them since we live in a very dry area and we put the tree up the day after Thanksgiving. (I'm the one you see wandering thru the tree lots inhaling deeply.) I usually buy a wreath to hang in the house.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:24 PM

It has never been fun since the days when lead tinsel was allowed. I always took two days just putting it on the tree, one by one, no throwing it on for me. I imagine that most of you will not even know that they used to be lead, back in the "day".
Old 12-06-2016, 01:43 PM

[QUOTE=quiltingcandy (I'm the one you see wandering thru the tree lots inhaling deeply.) [/QUOTE]

Hehehe that is me too. I finally gave up the real tree 3 years ago and bought an unlighted artificial one. So I still use tinsel and my C7 lights on that fake tree.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
When I was young and soon after my parents divorced. Our first holiday consisted of spending Christmas eve at our Mom's house with tinsel covered tree. And at home with Dad and a silver tree with the moving tri colored light thing spinning colors up on the tree.
The trees my husband and I put up every year contain no tinsel or garland.
OMG! I'd forgotten about the silver tree with the spinning colored light. We had one of those. We also had the pink tree one year that my mother had to have. It got voted down the second year. Hmmmm . . . she seemed to really like pink. I wonder why she never let me wear it and made me wear blue (that I don't especially like) instead?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
OMG! I'd forgotten about the silver tree with the spinning colored light. We had one of those. We also had the pink tree one year that my mother had to have. It got voted down the second year. Hmmmm . . . she seemed to really like pink. I wonder why she never let me wear it and made me wear blue (that I don't especially like) instead?

My husband bought me a purple tree w/ purple lights for my sewing room, including disco ball ornaments.