Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Building a stash >

Building a stash

Building a stash

Old 12-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I worked hard at building my stash in the beginning by buying yards of fabric "because I liked it" - then the left-overs from projects got added and before I knew it my stash was nuts. Some things are great to buy for stash, such as solids (particularly white, cream, black, and red) as those are my go-to colors for certain quilts. Other neutrals are good to have on hand too, but the specialty patterns......I have gotten really careful with what I add. I get neutrals on sale and the others are specifically for projects - no more "just because I like it" purchases (for the most part).

My space runneth over so I joined the fabric moratorium thread on the QB. Whatever you decide - make sure it gives you pleasure.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:44 PM

Agree with Jeanne S. Wish at times that I didn't have this stash to store and move.

K
Old 12-04-2016, 05:25 PM

I don't think many of us 'built a stash'. They just sort of begin and grow! I only buy fabric when I can get a great deal. And then, I buy quite a bit. It is fabric that I like, the colors I like working with or for a purpose (little boys truck fabric or circus animals) because I know I will be making kid's quilts at some time. Depending on the fabric, I will buy this in minimum 2 yard pieces. The only time I buy random fabric is if it is 100% cotton and on clearance. I will buy this instead of muslin to use for pattern or trial run items. This usually creates a building of my stash. An example of my buying is this year's christmas fabric (for next year's projects). After thanksgiving I bought $94 worth of holiday cotton and the receipt showed that I saved $287. This is the only way you can make things to sell and make a profit or to donate to charity without costing you too much. With these fabrics, my tree skirts have $8 - $10 worth of materials and my fold n' stitch wreaths have about $4 worth of fabric. Of course, if you are making items for family or friends, then you spend more to find that perfect fabric for them.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:33 PM

I have to agree...as you do projects, you will have left overs....I used to order fabrics on sale...for my stash...but it turns out that somehow, the colors are never quite what you thought, and don't quite go with your current project!!! yes, I have made projects with "only my stash", but that isn't much fun for me...I am not so into "scrap quilts"....but have made many of them because of the left over fabric! LOL
Old 12-04-2016, 06:14 PM

My stash built itself naturally as I shopped sales and made countless blankets, quilts, clothes, etc. I've been sewing since 2000, got my own machine in 2004, and last year I went thru my stash and purged a very large box of fabric to a friend. After the purge i still have five large bins of fabric plus bolts of interfacing (I also make bags) and rolls of batting. I have enough that I tell friends to come "shop" in my stash before they hit the fabric store. It will happen naturally, trust me lol.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:48 PM

I regret purchasing without a specific purpose in mind. I have a stash that while I like the fabric I haven't used in years! My tastes have changed, random purchases that haven't yet made it into a quilt. I am fortunate to have a shop locally that will cut even two inch strips WOF if that's all you need. Love that! If
I had to do it all over again I would only urchase for what I needed. The scraps still accumulate but at least I would know I have already "used" it.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:26 PM

I bought a lot at first, but when folks found out I was a quilter and quilted for charity, I would frequently be gifted fabric, sometimes on my front door.