Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine impulse buy! >

Sewing Machine impulse buy!

Sewing Machine impulse buy!

Old 12-05-2016, 07:37 AM

Tell your husband to chill out. He could have been my husband when I spent 6 grand after trading in two machines on my Babylock Journey! If you are like me you use your machine just about every day. It's worth the investment!
Old 12-05-2016, 09:01 AM

I too bought a new Baby Lock Unity on an impulse buy about a year ago. I hate to say this but this machine totally intimidates me. I don't know anything about Embrodery or how to use it. I have watched several you tube videos but they really don't teach me what I want as a newbe. I took all the free class at the dealer but I felt they were irritated with me because I did not know anything about Embrodery. I tried to find a group online for Embrodery similar to this group but no luck.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:09 AM

you'll love the thread cutter! Mine makes a little two part noise that sounds like the start of Pink Floyd's song Money.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:30 AM

Congratulations! You will really enjoy it!

I bought my Viking sewing/embroidery machine on impulse - I had talked myself out of one for years, but there it was on sale, a floor model, full warranty (if it had bugs they were all worked out), and if I wanted to up grade within the year he would give me a full credit of the purchase price. How could I go wrong? Usually I would have gone home and talked about it - but I didn't want to think about it, I really wanted an embroidery machine. And I have not regretted it since. It was tempting to up-grade, but I really don't need more than what I have and don't want another learning curve.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sue Kitten View Post
I too bought a new Baby Lock Unity on an impulse buy about a year ago. I hate to say this but this machine totally intimidates me. I don't know anything about Embrodery or how to use it. I have watched several you tube videos but they really don't teach me what I want as a newbe. I took all the free class at the dealer but I felt they were irritated with me because I did not know anything about Embrodery. I tried to find a group online for Embrodery similar to this group but no luck.
Could you repeat the classes at your dealer? It takes time to learn embroidery especially if it is your first embroidery machine. Ask me how I know.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:54 PM

I would definitely keep your old machine. I have 4 machines and wouldn't trade any of them in. My Saphire with the larger throat I keep set up with the walking foot on it, nice not to have take it off and on. I have an older viking 330 non computerized that my granddaughters sew on (eventually it will go home with them) In September I bought my Opal 690Q and absolutely love it and do most of piecing on it. My older D2 is set back for embroidery. Before I bought the Opal I did my piecing on my D2 but it is getting wore out so will only use it for what little embroidery I do.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:32 AM

It's probably fixed on the newest models, but if you have trouble with your bobbin, it is easily fixed with a spacer --. Part Number 846222202,

Old 12-06-2016, 05:43 AM

way to go! congrats!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

The last two machines I bought DH has never noticed. He comes to my sewing room every now and then but has no clue what is new or not. I don't have the need to share my quilting buys with him unless he asks. Same with his tools, ATVs, guns, trailers, tractors....one tractor cost the same as the best LA.

Last edited by Onebyone; 12-06-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:42 AM

I bought the 3160 on impulse at Paducah 4 yrs ago. Have never looked back. Have a Janome 10001 that is in a desk but I use the 3160 for travel, classes & guild meetings. The thread cutter is my favorite part. Have never had a problem w/it. Enjoy your new baby. Kathy