Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 830 just purchased. Need to know which threads to purchase for best results >

Bernina 830 just purchased. Need to know which threads to purchase for best results

Bernina 830 just purchased. Need to know which threads to purchase for best results

Old 12-07-2016, 09:11 AM

Default Bernina 830 just purchased. Need to know which threads to purchase for best results

I have just purchased a Bernina 830 (the 8 series one). I'm curious as to the best threads to go with for this machine for each type of stitching --- regular garment sewing; embroidery; and finally machine quilting. Also --- having purchased my used car as it were, I now need to get a sturdy desk/table to put it on for using --these heavier machines will need a sturdier support system than a tv tray.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

My Bernina 440 sews well with whatever thread I put in it. That was my main concern with getting it. I think a safe bet for your 830 would be Aurifil- thin, strong and no lint.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:36 AM

I've had 2 Bernina's and the only threads I've had problems with were metallics. They tended to break so I just have to drop my top tension down very low. Then everything was good. I have a 930 that I haven't really used a lot and it seems to use any thread without problems.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:10 AM

Congrats on the used car equivalent, I'm sure you'll have more fun and less trouble with the 830! As for thread, I agree with Tartan that strength, wt and LINT are my main criteria.

If you or someone you know, is good with power hand tools (mainly a jig saw and drill), I used a 4' x 4' piece of 1/2" white melamine (cut down from a 4x8 sheet), added flanges and used 1" pvc piping for legs (with caster wheels) and cross members. I then cut out the profile of my machine a few inches from the right corner and lowered that cutout down about 3 inches to make the level of my presser plate a little lower than the level of the table (with some cardboard for fine-tuning). I then used some brackets to secure the lowered cut out to the bottom side of the 4x4 table.

This set up has lasted a LONG time, has given me enough room to FMQ King sized quilts and under normal conditions, gives me room to use my big rotary cutter mat at the other end of the table. It was cheap but did take some work.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Every machine dealer in my area uses poly thread for demoing in the new machines. All models. The settings are set for poly from the company. I think any good thread will be fine, the main thing is to have the right size needle for the wt and ply of the thread. This goes for all types of stitching. The needle and thread have to be compatible. The 830 is a big and heavy machine. I would certainly invest in a quality sewing table for it.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:52 AM

I really like the Gutermann Mara 100 from Wawak.com. It's a strong, thin, poly thread with no lint.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:13 PM

I have an 820, which is like yours except I don't have embroidery. My machine doesn't like invisible thread or metallic or Dual Duty. It's probably me not being able to figure out the adjustments though. I use mostly any Superior thread on the cones - no specific ones. Mostly I like polyester for piecing. My machine seems to like the Superior ones the best. I use Aurifill too. Have fun with your new machine!
Old 12-08-2016, 03:35 AM

Thanks everyone! I am eager to get my sewing space set up for my new arrival --- hopefully before Christmas --- my dealer is letting me keep my machine there until I have the basics in my experience which gives me time to figure out the desk/table. I have a vintage desk with a one inch thick old growth fir top that I hope will accommodate "Baby" with a few reinforcements.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:56 AM

Your machine should be able to take about any quality thread. I love SoFine from Superior for piecing. I generally use Guterman for general sewing. For quilting I use whatever has the color and weight I like, but mostly from Superior because I can get it easily here. Stay away from Coats and Clark in general. Metallics take a comfort with adjusting tension that you might need more experience. I have used Yenmet very successfully though.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:51 AM

I had a rag rug business and had many employees and machines. I ended up with Bernina 1020 being the go to best machine, sewed in all situations. Even sewed when it was sick. Thread I used was Gutterman which did not untwist in damp weather.