Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well, it won't be done for Christmas morning. >

Well, it won't be done for Christmas morning.

Well, it won't be done for Christmas morning.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:31 AM

Maybe it is time for another set of hands. Can you and a friend find a church or quilt shop with tables you can use? Big quilts are difficult for me to spray baste, but I ask hubby to help or go to my quilt shop. I spray baste all year long with no problem...that I know of???? Wishing you success and a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:10 AM

This is my "sweet spot" for spray basting......it works so well for me. I have a design wall that is bolted to my wall, it's just a 2×4 frame that has a BIG piece of batting staplegunned to it. I first of all spread the batting onto the design wall, making sure I smooth out all the wrinkles. Then I take flat king size sheet and spread it out in the backyard (don't be a woose, I did this yesterday and the temp.was about the same.) I then lay out the backing, wrong side up...don't worry about how perfectly it is laying.....spray the whole backing, then fold it in four, sticky side in. Go back to your design wall, smooth the backing into the batting, getting all the wrinkles out. Then you can take it down, press this with your iron, if you wish, to help the glue to set a bit more. Now flip it over, so the batting is towards you and put it back onto your design wall. Smooth out. Now take your quilt top outside (can be right outside your door.....it takes about a minute.) Lay it out, wrong side up...doesn't have to be perfect. Now spray this, fold it in quarters, sticky side in, and get back in where it's warm! Now you can put this up on your design wall, smoothing it out so that it's nice and flat. Again, press so that it adheres a little better if you wish. You can put some pins around the periphery of your quilt if you wish...I usually do....but it is a totally painless, easy, and effective way of spray basting a quilt. Jan from Ontario
Old 12-12-2016, 06:36 AM

So sorry, Jan, that so much went wrong. I can relate about the skill set seeming to have disappeared over night.

I spray baste inside but not sure how good it is for the lungs. What I hate most, however, is the over spray, for which there is no solution...that I've found. Perhaps you could wear a paper mask? Others have suggested some good ideas, including using Elmer's washable glue; hope you find something that works.

To commiserate: I've finished piecing a Union Jack quilt for my DIL for Christmas but I lack the courage to try quilting it, mainly because the backing is solid blue, meaning every stitch will show, I can't decide on color of thread, and I don't really have time, anyway, with all else I have to do. So she may just get the top, with a promise of quilting to come later, alas. I did make a Union Jack pillow, though, out of one leftover block, so there's that......

Last edited by Friday1961; 12-12-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:49 AM

When I use 505, I put freezer paper all around the quilt. It catches the over spray. I have never had an issue with any order from 505. I use it in my basement, where my sewing room is all the time. Good luck with your quilt. I know your daughter will be happy with it when she receives it. Merry Christmas Jan, and enjoy your quilting.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Jan I feel your pain. Your daughter will remember and appreciate the hard work and care that you put into this quilt forever. Many times we remember the story more than the gift. You'll get there and will be happy you made it to your standards.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:09 AM

Oh Jan, what a bummer!

Unfortunately your post has been edited so I can't see the quilt, but I can commiserate on the basting. I'm sorry you're so far away or I'd volunteer to come help you pick stitches! That sort of thing goes about 10 times as fast if you have even just one helper.

As for my basting technique - I glue baste (Elmer's), up on a plastic folding table that I set up on risers. NO more crawling, hunching, squatting...so much better on my poor back. Also no more taping backing down, and no more poking myself or creating super sore spots on my fingers from pinning.

If I'm doing a baby quilt I can just eyeball things but otherwise, I fold my batting, top, and backing each in half (separately) and mark the fold points with Clover clips, then do the same on the other sides, so I know where the middle of each side is of each layer in the sandwich.

Then I plunk down my batting on the table and I like to start with the table pretty much centered in the batting. Then I lay out my backing and get everything lined up right with the clover clips. Leaving the clips there, I then fold it down to expose half of the batting, and drizzle-dot my glue. Smooth the backing down, repeat on the other side. Shift the whole shebang over to an unglued area, peel the backing back again to expose more batting, add glue, smooth it down. Shift, peel, glue, smooth, shift, peel, glue, smooth...until the entire backing is done.

Then I just flop the now glued backing and batting over and start over for the top - center the batting on the table (naked batting side up), lay the top out carefully to make sure all my clips are lining up OK, then start the "shift, peel, glue, smooth" routine over again with the top.

When all of that is done, it needs to dry. If I'm not in a rush this is when I drape it over something so it's flat-ish and just walk away and let it sit for a couple hours (or more often, overnight). If I AM in a rush, this is when I roll out my big pressing board and spend some time heat-pressing all over the whole quilt. The clips come off as soon as all 3 layers are stuck together.

Once the glue is dry, the quilt is really well held together and will tolerate quite a bit of handling without coming apart. I check for any bagginess, puckers, misalignment, anything weird BEFORE I put any stitches in. If I find anything wrong, I can either spot-wet the quilt for small fixes, or if I've really made a mess of things I can throw the whole thing into the tub with some warm water and soak the layers completely apart and start over. (This is a messy process but I've done it a couple of times and you can never tell when the quilt is done!)

Stitch it all up, and toss it in the washing machine when done. Presto! A quilt with no puckers.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:11 AM

When I made my first quilt, I had to add the backing three times. It was a queen size quilt and had a trillion safety pins on it. About glue basting: I only did it a few times but I used the Elmers school glue and just streamed it on, took a ruler and spread it out and ironed it flat. I've also used it while piecing and always wash it out later. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
no, but the overspray goes exactly where you dont want it, and it is hard to contain on a large quilt.....sorry for your predicament. Beautiful quilt, though.
I always put a large sheet down first before I spray and do it in another room so I can leave the fumes
Old 12-12-2016, 07:56 AM

The quilt is gone. Nan got to it before I did.
Jan, could you post a link to it? I would love to see it.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:57 AM

So very sorry to read of all the problems you are having! Always happens when we are on a deadline. I say put it away for a few days. Do something different and then come back after you are refreshed....it will be Beautiful!!