Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The best reaction to a gifted quilt. >

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

Default The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

I was just wondering. I have gifted many a quilt in my lifetime. The very best reaction came from a stranger who was good to us from our insurance office. Our house was driven into at christmas two years ago and it was a long drawn out process to get it completely fixed.

This little gal worked her butt off for us getting it all paid for by the other person's insurance company and no deductible for us! It was done by great contractors even if it did take a long time to finish. I was so grateful to her.

It took me awhile, but hubby delivered a sampler christmas quilt to her this morning. She cried, was thrilled with it and remarked no one had ever given her such a nice gift. And, to tell you the truth, I never got such a wonderful feeling from the hard work that something took to complete. It was worth every hour I spent.

I was wondering, what was your story on the best gifting experience of a quilt? There has got to be some great stories out there.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:26 PM

I primarily make chemo quilts for folks going through this treatment. I have taken them in the past to the Cancer Centre but for the past three years, I have been giving them to the Save the Children organization. They hold a yearly bazaar. The quilts are displayed and are offered to anyone needing a quilt. And they may make a donation to the society.
This year, a quilt was taken by a woman to be gifted to her friend in her final days. Afterwards, the woman wrote a poem for me telling how the quilt was given, touched, and provided a warmth for a nap. The poem was so touching, it brought me to tears.
I have been thanked nicely before but this was the tops.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:54 PM

I think the best was one I gave to my sister. I have been busily making quilts for all the sibs for their 15th wedding anniversaries. I talked to sis about it at the time and she said she didn't need one, yadda yadda. Well, come to find out shortly thereafter she and BIL were separating and ultimately divorcing. That quilt, instead, was given to her for her 40th birthday. She sat in the middle of the floor of the restaurant among all the family and friends and just petted the quilt for a long time. It's still on her bed 10+ years later. Other quilts have been very well and warmly received but that's still my favorite response.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:01 PM

Mine was from my granddaughter, who was finally home recouperating after a terrifying hospital stay when she contracted Lemierre's Syndrome. DH, DGD, DIL, and I were sitting on the deck and I handed her the gift box. She immediately headed straight for the house. I asked where she was going, and she said "I know this is a quilt, and I can't open it outside. It's like the flag - it can't touch the ground!" Heaven help us, we giggled for 10 minutes about that, but it warmed my heart knowing how much SHE appreciated it. Thirty-minutes later, this is what we found:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563696[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.gif
Views:	3313
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	563696  
Old 12-13-2016, 04:32 PM

One year I made each of my three grandsons a quilt for their bunk beds. My oldest grandson opened his first and at 16, danced around the room with it wrapped around him. The other two quickly found their similarly wrapped quilts ignoring other presents. And I thought they would be a bust as presents!😀
Old 12-13-2016, 04:35 PM

I made a quilt for my daughter's 26th birthday. She lives in NYC and was with friends when she opened it. She went on about how much she loved it. Her is the pic she sent.

Name:	kelli quilt.jpg
Views:	3285
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	563697  
Old 12-13-2016, 04:35 PM

Love these stories and hope more posters add to the thread.
Cindi - that experience was the best! You must have felt so good about her reaction!
Old 12-13-2016, 05:17 PM

My great nephew's reaction to his big boy quilt warmed my heart

Name:	IMG_3543.JPG
Views:	3288
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	563698  
Old 12-13-2016, 05:18 PM

First quilt I ever made I gave to me 4 year old grandson for his bed. It was just made from a center of fussy cut little bears, each one doing cute little things in the woods, then surrounded with scraps given to me by ladies from my senior
citizen's quilt class I was taking at the time. One day soon after I gave it to him my grandson was sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast & I was sitting nearby & he suddenly say, "Grandma, I just love the quilt you made me." But that was not all. Many times thereafter, he repeated this, even for several years. Warmed my heart every time. He is now 19 years old & still has the quilt on his bed.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

When my grand neice opened her crayon quilt last year, she said I just love it! My sister this year when I gave her her quilt for her birthday said, this is a work of art.