Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The best reaction to a gifted quilt. >

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:47 PM

Hi all,

What wonderful stories.......tears at bedtime here!!!

Here is my story... I have made quilts for all the grandchildren - I try to get them made as soon as they are born, but don't always succeed - at times they have been one or two before they got theirs. C.J. my youngest grandson was born with a Chairi malformation... His is very serious and he has had two major brain surgeries, both before he was four.... He is five now. Before going into hospital for his last surgery, he refused to go to the hospital without his Gaga (that is what he calls me) quilt. He made such a fuss that they allowed him to take it into the operating theatre with him. Being so far away from my daughter and grandchildren (they live over there with you all in the USA) is terribly difficult for me... But knowing that the quilt I made C.J. gave him some comfort and security at such a difficult time gave me some solace.

I miss is them all so much.

Hugs

caroline
Old 12-15-2016, 09:15 PM

What a wonderful thread. I've read them all and cried over lots of them.

My story is about Cindy in Wyoming who started a Grandmother's Flower Garden in 2001. She wrote the date on some of the freezer paper inserts as she sewed them into the hexies. Then she got Lupus and was unable to finish it. Cindy gave it to her sister-in-law in Wisconsin, who tried working on it, but the sister-in-law said, "There are not enough years left in my life to do this."

She have it to me in 2012 and I took it to our quilt club. Cindy had about 10 of the flowers finished and one had the garden path on it. About 10 ladies of our club worked on it for about a year. Then we raffled it off at our quilt show in 2014. It was won by a deserving neighbor very well known by the sister-in-law and me. She has the quilt on her bed.

The proceeds from the raffle were donated to all the food pantries in the county where most of our members live.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:49 PM

A few years ago my friends daughter was going through chemo with a side order of diabetes. I made her a very simple quilt to take to chemo with her. You'd think it was magic and maybe it is. Her chemo worked and her diabetes is controlled.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:23 AM

Overflowing with tears here, Great stories...Thanks.
I have made and given away many quilts over the years and all have been appreciated. I think tho the most touching reaction/response I ever felt for a quilt I made, I received just last night.
Went over to oldest daughter's to have hot cocoa with all the grands before loading up to drive around looking at Christmas lights. I've made all my grands many quilts since birth...My oldest gd , Laci is 4 her best friend and cousin CiCi is 3 (they are more like sisters, fight, love all in the same minute...Just like their mothers used to ) They were playing waiting on the rest of us and Laci comes out and hands CiCi a quilt I made her when she was born, telling her cousin...This is my favorite comfy-cozy but I want you to have it. The tears that started, because it was her favorite and her heart was so generous she wanted her bff to have it. My oldest , Laci's mom came around the corner, heard the story, said ( a lil bit loud and very adamantly, I thought lol) Uh No Laci we are keeping that one, that's my favorite! You can give CiCi any other quilt in the house. I didn't know whether to laugh, cry or fuss at my daughter.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I made 1600 jelly roll for cousins that i hadn't seen in over 30 yrs, due to my mom not liking them. these people whom my mom said for years wer were ever so grateful and happy. I got a call from them last night, saying they took the quilt out, and were so amazed that i made them a beautiful quilt that was so perfect, and that i thought of them enough to make a quilt. They carried on for about 8 minutes about how wonderful it was and how blessed they are to have me in their family. That said it all for me.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I made 1600 jelly roll for cousins that i hadn't seen in over 30 yrs, due to my mom not liking them. these people whom my mom said for years wer were ever so grateful and happy. I got a call from them last night, saying they took the quilt out, and were so amazed that i made them a beautiful quilt that was so perfect, and that i thought of them enough to make a quilt. They carried on for about 8 minutes about how wonderful it was and how blessed they are to have me in their family. That said it all for me.
How touching. What do you mean "1600 jelly roll" , though?
Old 12-16-2016, 05:30 PM

What a beautiful thread. The best reaction I ever got was a delayed reaction. I made quilts for a friends two babies. Then she found out she had cancer when the yougest was born. I made her a quilt, on the day I gave it to her she was a little quiet. But on all her hospital photos she had the quilt on her bed. Later she told me that she had to be careful as the nurse said they would steal it It was pink and grey as pink is her favourite colour and the pattern was "Have a Little Faith" She is still having treatment and said that the poem out the love stitched in it helps.
Again a lovely thread and quite teary
Old 12-16-2016, 05:32 PM

So many nice people here and spreading happiness around.
The one quilt I will always remember is to some one my wife looks after.
She is a PSW in homes and has been looking after a gentle men that is a long time farmer and loves dogs.
When my wife starting working with he the first thing he asked was if she had a dog.
For the last 5 years every time she goes in to see him the first thing he asked is how is Riley and what is Riley and Tom doing to day at home.
And always had to take pictures of the dog to him so he could put them on the fridge.
He has never seen my dog just in pictures .
And we could not bring the dog to him because of where he is.
So last year my wife told me he was turning 100 . So I tucked that in my head and starting thinking about a quilt for him.
Came up with this quilt got pictures printed on some tshirts and some stock border collie pictures.
Well he was so happy .What got to me was when his daughter phoned just crying with joy. Made me tear up a little to .
But glad he liked it and keeps him[ATTACH=CONFIG]563859[/ATTACH] warm in the chair.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2068.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	563859  
Old 12-17-2016, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I love reading all of your stories. Thank you all for reminding me that our quilting/sewing gifts are meaningful and special. Merry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:06 PM

I made three baby quilts for three co-workers who were pregnant and I said whoever I saw first got to choose first. The woman I saw first was so overcome when I told her that I had made her a quilt that she couldn't pick one! She had to "eenie meenie minie moe" it to come to a decision.
I was touched that she thought they were all three equally nice.

Watson