Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Microwave Bowl holder warning! >

Microwave Bowl holder warning!

Microwave Bowl holder warning!

Old 12-20-2016, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by bungalow59 View Post
These are not meant to go in the microwave, but to drop the bowl in AFTER its warned to protect the person holding it.
That's what I think...
I wouldn't put a towel in the microwave....
Kirsten
Old 12-20-2016, 09:54 AM

I will not put fabric in the microwave..not the potato bags...not the bowl.
Sandy
Old 12-20-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
...I wouldn't put a towel in the microwave....Kirsten

I've used small hand-towels in the microwave before, but not for any longer than 1 minute.

I often bake biscuits or cornbread muffins, and when I have leftovers and want to re-heat them, I wrap them in a hand-towel and zap in 30 second intervals. 30 seconds is usually plenty of time, but I have done for as long as 1 minute if the bread is coming straight from the 'frig. The bread comes out nice and soft, and I've never had a problem with scorching/burning the towel.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:53 AM

Well rats! I just made 5 of them, guess they won't be going to another persons home. I used Warm and Natural. I thought the whole point was so that you could take them out of the microwave without burning yourself!
Old 12-20-2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bjbaxter View Post
Well rats! I just made 5 of them, guess they won't be going to another persons home. I used Warm and Natural. I thought the whole point was so that you could take them out of the microwave without burning yourself!
Right! I love mine - only leave them in the microwave for a couple of minutes. I have a couple of bowls that are hard to get out of the microwave with regular pot holders and these are great for those. But there are a lot of valid points made about these and I've changed my mind about gifting any.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sue1765 View Post
Right! I love mine - only leave them in the microwave for a couple of minutes. I have a couple of bowls that are hard to get out of the microwave with regular pot holders and these are great for those. But there are a lot of valid points made about these and I've changed my mind about gifting any.
I have used microwave bowl holders made with regular Warm and Natural, cotton fabric and cotton thread for over eight years now and have NEVER had a problem with them even if food was on them. Perhaps the original poster did not use 100% cotton thread or fabric? Maybe she tested them without putting a bowl of something in them? In that case there would be no place for the waves to go but the fabric. In the beginning I only microwave for a minute or two before stopping to stir/check the food. Now if the veggies take 6 - 7 minutes then that is how long they stay in there and the worst thing to happen is the holder may be warm from the steam.

Sue in MO
Old 12-20-2016, 01:48 PM

I made some , I just told everyone its to put your hot bowl in , when it comes out of the
microwave. Played it safe good for cold cereal also .
Old 12-20-2016, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

I have a couple and have never put them in the microwave.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:32 PM

bigsister 63, is correct I have warm and natural needled cotton batting needle punched- does not contain resins or glues. I have not experienced any problems remember when the big items was the potatoes bag in the microwave. You also have to take into consideration we don't know what type of microwave people have and some are more powerful then others.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:20 PM

I made the potato bags using the batting specifically made for them, used all cotton thread & fabric but one still caught fire. Won't make or use anymore, too risky. I was able to turn the ones I had already made into a cute mini ipad holder though so not a total waste.