Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
moving >

moving

moving

Old 01-01-2017, 06:18 AM

lvmybskt, in the car AND buckle it up for added safety. I have taken my machines to the shop just buckled up or cushioned/wrapped on the backseat floor. Now I have van and would nestle it wrapped in quilts in the back storage spaces, when the seats are up and out of the way.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:36 AM

In July 2015 I moved from Missouri to Texas, which is 13 hours driving. I packed all my machines in my car. My vikings with me and my other machine in our second car. I did not use the boxes since I packed them in the cars. All my machines arrived safely and I was able to use them right away. I have had a machine packed years ago when the military moved us. I arrived in one piece too. I suggest to do what you are comfortable with
Old 01-01-2017, 07:00 AM

My machines go with me, not trusting them to anyone.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:10 AM

By all means, take the machine with you. I have been moved by professional movers many times. My experiences were good except for one. When we moved from Ohio to North Carolina, my husband's company used Bekins. They were shady. They lost thousands of dollars of our stuff. Although our things were insured, the amount that they were willing to reimburse us was a joke. They dragged everything out for a very long time and denied most of our claim. They set up an appointment to come to our house and fill out paperwork for our claim. They rescheduled the appointment several times over a couple of months and after they finally came out, they told us that they had lost our paperwork and that they needed to set up another appointment. Anyway, it was a nightmare dealing with them. Don't let the movers take your machine.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:44 AM

I would be afraid to take a machine like that in a car because it might attract someone who would steal it, my car or something worse. If you decide to take it in your car, please be careful.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:53 AM

I would trust the movers - they usually have a lot of experience with items arriving in one piece and in good condition.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:09 AM

I agree with Deb watkins...in your car, original box. The movers can assure you of anything...and then change their minds or say that wasn't the agreement. Be safe.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:10 AM

When we were in TX during the summer to help my son move to WA State, I purchased a Viking Designer I with the embroidery unit from my BFF. I placed it in the back seat of the pickup truck with me. Of course, I heard grief most all the way from my son about not placing it in the pull-behind 16 ft. trailer because in the trolley case, it took up almost 1/2 of the seat. I told him not to worry about it, that the machine is infringing on MY space, not his. I didn't want to take the chance of having it bounce around in the trailer, therefore; the machine made it fine.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:59 AM

Yes, I agree with a lot of the members. Take it with you! Then there is no worry & you know right where it is.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:15 AM

Take it with you. No use taking a chance.