Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Simple wedding quilt >

Simple wedding quilt

Simple wedding quilt

Old 02-14-2015, 10:48 AM

Default Simple wedding quilt

I have been asked to make a simple quilt for my brothers wedding. They want their guests to sign it, so it will be hung on display. Should I have it quilted before the wedding or after? Has anyone ever done this before?

Any suggestions or patterns would be appreciated. The theme of the wedding is country chic.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2015, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

I hate to say it but there is NOTHING simple about a signature wedding quilt. Find out the bride's choice in fabric. You need to do the prep work for the signature block and back them with freezer paper. There is always a few mistakes so have some extras available. You have to have the people sign it before the quilt is even made. Pattern would depend on how many guests will be coming. Good Luck !
Old 02-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

They usually sign individual blocks, then you join them into the quilt after. Iron the fabric onto freezer paper to make it stiff, and draw the seam allowance with a pencil and tell them/put a sign up to color within the lines (they still won't). There are several posts on this board for tips on how to set this up. do a search for signature quilts.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:50 PM

I have done them both ways. Having blocks signed before quilting is much easier for writing on. But, having it done and ready to hand off for retirement/going away gifts worked ok too. Just remember to tell the recipient to heat set before washing.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:45 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Here's a pattern you could use.
I'd have the individual blocks signed before completing the quilt.
Back the space for the signature with a piece of freezer paper, fusing it the the fabric with an iron.
Use a Pigma pen .05 for the signing (have several on hand!)
Remove the paper after signing.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	signature block quilt.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	510257   Click image for larger version

Name:	signature block.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	510258  
Old 02-14-2015, 10:01 PM

I made a "country chic" wedding quilt for my son and his wife years ago and the pattern I made was hearts that were applique on top of natural color background squares. The pattern also had a set of two wedding bands on the one heart, a wreath like thing that went around another of the hearts. I just gave the guests the heart shapes with freezer paper on the back. Once the wedding was over is when I sewed on the fusible then pressed them on to the background. I also drew a line where your 1/4 seam would be so they wouldn't go outside the lines they were given pigment pens to use. It turned out to be a beautiful quilt.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:40 PM

I did a quilt for my brother and sister-in-laws wedding last year. She picked out the fabric front and I made the quilt. I had it quilted and used a light color fabric on the back. She wanted people to sign the back. Sounds like you want the signatures on the front. The quilter used a larger circle/swirly design so people could follow the swirls with well wishes. I did it for my daughters wedding asking all the guests to send me a 12x12 square with their own design and name on it. Don't do that! Mistake! Got the squares back, all different sizes and not squared. But, when you don't sew, you don't realize this. For my sons wedding quilt I gave the squares out and if they wanted I would do their designs for them. My brothers was the easiest to do. I used a pattern called Lickety Split.