2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-31-2016, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Instead of a Moratorium this should be renamed a Wise and Smart buying group...yes still purchasing fabric but using it for designated purchases...which many of us are doing...like Martina, this has helped me control my buying...Happy New Year everyone..
Yes, that is how I plan to do it. I seldom make a quilt completely from my stash, but I do want to keep looking at the stash before going to the store. I hope to use at least 75% stash material for each quilt I make.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mary73162 View Post
I am planning to start projects I already have fabric for. I also have unsubscribed to 90% of the emails I get that tempt me to buy more stuff.....Not this site because I like to hear what others are doing....except the word games. I will keep the few magazines I currently subscribe to.

In other words, I'm planing to do more quilting and less reading about quilting......sounds pretty noble, I'll be honest how it goes....

This is exactly my plan - unsubscribe from (or ignore) the emails from all the fabric shops.

I bought some large CLEAR totes on Friday.
I had done an "organizing binge" back in November, putting my UFO's in the shoebox size clear boxes. I'm finding that since I can SEE what I have (as opposed to being in blue totes, or boxes or whatever), I'm more likely to work on those things that I can SEE and not go off on a tangent of "oh, a new pattern!!" and go spend money. The binge really helped me use my stash for Bonnie Hunter's MQ rather than buying "new" fabric, because I now had a better realization of what I have already and WHERE IT IS!!!!!!

Of course, the one single drawback of the clear totes is that not only can I see just how big my stash is, Hubby can too.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Swap Hosts

So yesterday -- still 2016 -- I went to Joann to buy some fabric for a "watching tv on the sofa" quilt for my husband.
Didn't find anything that was "just right" -- but I found octopus fabric. Two kinds! Nothing like cuddling up under a bunch of tentacles. My husband was howling with laughter as he told my son, "She shows me this fabric and says 'How disgusting is this?' and then next thing you know it's in her cart and she's off to the cutting table." Men just don't understand.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564768[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Last Fabric 2016.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	564768  
Old 01-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

krystyna, nothin' says lovin' like octopus fabric.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:53 PM

I am another one who needs to join in this group. I can't even reach all my stash and then I purchase more fabric. NO MORE. I am using up a lot of fabric to make dog quilts to donate so I can get to my "good stuff". And oh are those yard sales in the summer so tempting. Lately my biggest purchase seems to be magazines. Time to think before I buy.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:17 PM

This is something I desperately need to do. I've just started a Suduko quilt, with not only the squares, but fabric applique embroidered to each square...one apple, two hearts, etc. Good way to get rid of the scraps.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:28 AM

I literally could start my own fabric store. And yet, when I went after bobbins yesterday, I managed to somehow wind up with $175 worth of batiks (HEY! I had a coupon! ;-) I only spent $100 total.)

I have never seen a batik I didn't fall in love with. I think I'll join you all and shop my store before I shop everyone else's this year! Lol
Old 01-02-2017, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by JennyJones View Post
I literally could start my own fabric store. And yet, when I went after bobbins yesterday, I managed to somehow wind up with $175 worth of batiks (HEY! I had a coupon! ;-) I only spent $100 total.)

I have never seen a batik I didn't fall in love with. I think I'll join you all and shop my store before I shop everyone else's this year! Lol

Those batiks are my weakness too!
Old 01-02-2017, 07:13 AM

I had a narrow miss yesterday. I'm working on the Bonnie Hunter mystery and the yellow I picked out was just too bright. I didn't think I had anything that would work, but this morning went by the storage unit where I keep most of my fabric and lo and behold I found a piece that will work perfectly. It pays to shop one's own stash even when you are convinced you don't have a particular colour in stock. The funny thing is I have no memory whatsoever of purchasing this particular piece. But there it was.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:33 PM

I really need to be here. My DH is an enabler so I don't know how well I can stick to this. My problem is not necessarily buying for the sake of buying. More it is the overwhelming scraps I have. I could probably make 50 quilts and still have an abundance of scraps. Right now I have 2 commissioned quilts to make. I have been shopping both my stash and my sisters. She is as bad as I am with fabric but hers is more enticing