Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
can I do this >

can I do this

can I do this

Old 01-13-2017, 06:38 AM

You are not the only one who struggles with this Idle Di, I'm glad you asked! I always struggle to answer this question. I love all the responses, so thank you all!
Old 01-13-2017, 07:57 AM

Oh you have so many choices. I do kids name quilts with applique. I put the applique on just the front and batting. I use different colors for each animal for both bobbin and top thread, otherwise you'll get a peak of the bobbin color, even if tension is good. Once I load the color up I do everything on the quilt that needs that color.

If you are going to use one bobbin color grey is good for many colors. Then when I add the backing I do additional quilting on all three layers so that the quilting lines meet the batting specification.

You are braver than I am. I always use a print background as this hides many quilting mistakes and you don't have to worry about the back so much. Have fun and good luck.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:41 AM

Ii seldom worry about thread color. The overall effect is what I am after.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:55 PM

I agree, I always thought that they had to be the same, and have been worried about trying something with different colours top and bottom, I must admit I still am, but well I might this time. I will keep you posted as to what I have decided, thank you for your help

Idle Di
Old 01-13-2017, 05:40 PM

I choose the colors independently according to what I want to achieve. In your case, I'd choose a color that suits the the reverse side and stay with it, then switch colors as you need to on the front. Right now I have light gray on the front and purple on the back. I probably have 15 colors on the front of my son's quilt, because I thread painted the trees and animals, but I only used one color on the back.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
I think many of us tend to forget, or it never occurs to us, that the bobbin thread and the top thread do not have to be the same color when we are machine quilting.
I know that I wouldn't use a black bobbin on a white top but if my quilt top is colorful, then I use two different threads if I don't want the backing thread to stand out. I have had no problems yet.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:36 PM

I frequently use a different color thread on the bobbin for quilting. I use fleece backings on my comfort quilts and match the thread to the backing fabric in the bobbin and match the thread to the top of the quilt for the top thread.

I do what I call utility quilting. Usually 1/4" outline stitching to secure the front to the fleece backing. I have very limited free motion skills, so blending my thread in is always my goal.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
Oh you have so many choices. I do kids name quilts with applique. I put the applique on just the front and batting. I use different colors for each animal for both bobbin and top thread, otherwise you'll get a peak of the bobbin color, even if tension is good. Once I load the color up I do everything on the quilt that needs that color.

If you are going to use one bobbin color grey is good for many colors. Then when I add the backing I do additional quilting on all three layers so that the quilting lines meet the batting specification.

You are braver than I am. I always use a print background as this hides many quilting mistakes and you don't have to worry about the back so much. Have fun and good luck.
Ah Ha, so are you saying that I can quilt just the top (with animals) onto the backing or do I have to have all THREE (top, batting, and backing) and do it all at once. I just was not sure if I can quilt just the front and batting together.

Idle Di
Old 01-14-2017, 09:02 PM

You could certainly do part of the quilting using only the front and the batting. I do that when I'm putting raw edge applique on a quilt. BUT you must all do quilting on all three layers: front, batting and back and make sure the quilting lines meet the criteria (e.g. 5 inches between quilting lines) your batting calls for.

I will do difficult quilting or quilting with metallic thread on just the top and batting and add easier quilting to all. three layers.[ATTACH=CONFIG]565727[/ATTACH]In this quilt I did the letters and the animals without the back on and then I added the back and did the quilting that matched the yellow front and back. That way my back didn't have all the different colors on it. I prefer if the quilting doesn't show so much on the back. Also it is actually easier to do this fussy raw edge applique quilting with just two layers instead of three. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Adeline full small photo.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	565727  
Old 01-14-2017, 11:38 PM

Oh thank you ever so much. I am still thinking which way I will do it and also what cotton colours. Gee It may take me all year. Silly question again, does doing it without the backing on (only doing it with batting and front) destroy the machine.

Idle Di