Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread breaking while FMQ on a fleece backed quilt >

Thread breaking while FMQ on a fleece backed quilt

Thread breaking while FMQ on a fleece backed quilt

Old 01-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

your foot pedal speed will always be faster than you move the quilt. too slow you get tiny stitches. too fast, longer ones. just a good speed that looks like what you want and doesn't pull the fabric against the needle when it is down position. good luck, keep trying.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:40 PM

If you have a Janome, there is a purple tip needle that helps with thread breaking and skipping stitches.
https://janomelife.wordpress.com/201...e-tip-needles/
Old 01-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

Suggestion .... before you wash your quilt (if I am not too lage) and go any further

........ make a sandwich with your fleece and cotton, but flip it over and FMQ onto the fleece.
It could be that the fleece is not sliding freely enough. The extra weight of the whole quilt creates drag. With the fleece it can create even more drag.

You may want to read more about my fleece FMQ experience ....
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t239508.html

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-12-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:10 AM

I would suggest a stretch needle. Had the same problem with Minky and the stretch needle helped. I had to do what QUILTE suggests...turning the cotton side down so there is free movement.

Last edited by mlt150; 01-13-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:19 AM

I would use an embroidery machine needle. It will say Embroidery on the package. I've found these cause me less problems than other needles.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mlt150 View Post
I would suggest a stretch needle. Had the same problem with Minky and the stretch needle helped. I had to do what QUILTE suggests...turning the cotton side down so there is free movement.
Thanks MLT150 .... good to know that it is just not me!

A hint for anyone, when your quilt will not slip-slide the way you want,
.... spray the machine and table surface with silicone spray, to help get some glide-ability!

BE CAREFUL ... DO NOT spray the floor,
.... or you will discover how slick it is and slip-slide-away yourself!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:20 AM

Well, the saga continued all day yesterday while I went through every possible needle-thread-tension combo. I even kept a chart of my results. Still the with same thread shred & break results, so frustrating. I gave up and thought I would give my old Viking Rose a shot at it. She performed beautifully with a topstich needle 90/14 and Gutterman 100% poly. Still, I was miffed (and slightly heart broken) at my Baby Lock Quilters Pro that I just purchased used in the fall was not up to this seemingly simple task. I bought it specifically for FMQ and thought I may have made a huge mistake. My husband suggested typing in the name of the machine along with the problem and voila...this post popped up: https://www.quiltinaday.com/communit...=10899&forum=7. Same machine, same problem she was quilting with a flannel back, mine with fleece. As the post suggests, try a 90/14 embroidery needle as they are tempered to resist bending and the eye is very smooth. So off to another trip to Joanns (50% coupon in hand) for embroidery needles. Back home I decided to rip out some FMQ stitches on (that darn) quilt so I could accurately assess if the new needles were working on the same quilt. FINALLY, SUCCESS!

So the right combination for me on this machine (Baby Lock Quilters Pro) was a Schemtz Embroidery needle 90/14 with Gutterman 100% poly and tension set to about 3.75.

I hope this helps anyone else out there with a similar problem!

"The only way to kill disappointment is to keep trying" - Kim Robinson Stanley, The Shaman
Old 01-14-2017, 10:23 AM

I just saw your post...though I came across the embroidery needle suggestion on another board before seeing yours, you were exactly right! I tried it our today and finally had success. Thank you so much!