Conculsion that quilters

Old 01-16-2017, 04:14 AM

Default Conculsion that quilters

are a much more civil and nicer group of people. I have a couple of other boards (who will remain anonymous) that I look at. There seems to be a lot of snarky and mean spirited people there. I don't think that because we have moderators that will pull stuff, it's just that we're nicer.
Now, I'm not trying to be snarky, just something I've noticed.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:06 AM

Bottom line is, there has always and will always be those who are "snarky and mean spirited" people. It has nothing to do about a certain group or a certain hobby that will change them. Even on here, all though its rare, there have been rude comments. Recently someone made a comment about something that she found interesting and the next thing you knew she was being rung thru the ringers for it. She didn't deserve that. I believe if I can't be nice then I say nothing. Even with my family, including my kids especially now that they are grown, when I don't agree with how they think, I don't agree I just keep my feelings to myself and change the subject. Some battles aren't worth starting and some are never winnable so why start them. I'm thankful for the nice people that I meet even if its online or in person and when I meet someone who has different opinions or rude ones I take it for what its worth. For me, that is nothing. Our members just happen to be a nice group of people and have also learned that sometimes you just have to ignore them. I am glad though that the moderators keep an eye on what goes on this board.

I was watching a webcast the other night on garment making, this lady is great but every once in a while rude people go on there and say really nasty, not rude but nasty comments and they are kicked off. No one has to say a word, like on here, they keep an eye on things. Thanks to all the nice people and the moderators who take care of the ones not so nice.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

This has been a while back but I had made a comment about how I didn't think it right to be so demeaning to another quilter and the one I didn't mention a name but was general about it sent me a really nasty "pm". That was ok and maybe they realized this old gal was not tolerating the rudeness toward another. I have not seen any more comments or posts by said person. This person was actually being like a bully in my opinion and I told them that in the "pm'. This old gal here has been bullied often and at times some still try but having been diagnosed with cancer was my biggest and I've gotten that one conquered in my own little mind. I don't take it anymore and I tell them I am sorry if they've been bullies all their lives because they thought that made them stronger. It doesn't. just makes them lower than a rattlesnake under a wagon wheel stuck in a gutter.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
Bottom line is, there has always and will always be those who are "snarky and mean spirited" people. It has nothing to do about a certain group or a certain hobby that will change them. Even on here, all though its rare, there have been rude comments. Recently someone made a comment about something that she found interesting and the next thing you knew she was being rung thru the ringers for it. She didn't deserve that. I believe if I can't be nice then I say nothing. Even with my family, including my kids especially now that they are grown, when I don't agree with how they think, I don't agree I just keep my feelings to myself and change the subject. Some battles aren't worth starting and some are never winnable so why start them. I'm thankful for the nice people that I meet even if its online or in person and when I meet someone who has different opinions or rude ones I take it for what its worth. For me, that is nothing. Our members just happen to be a nice group of people and have also learned that sometimes you just have to ignore them. I am glad though that the moderators keep an eye on what goes on this board.

I was watching a webcast the other night on garment making, this lady is great but every once in a while rude people go on there and say really nasty, not rude but nasty comments and they are kicked off. No one has to say a word, like on here, they keep an eye on things. Thanks to all the nice people and the moderators who take care of the ones not so nice.
so well said i decided your entire comment should be repeated. and, i too, wish to thank the moderaters for their great work here.
tessagin ..i, being a short nerdy personality who has evolved into a shorter nerdy personality with gray hair, has been a favorite target of bullies my entire life ..i have taken to heart the admonishment "get over it" ...it works ..it hurrts ..but i just get over it. thank you on behalf of other targets of bullies for carrying on the defense quietly in the back ground.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:14 AM

I was in a group setting where older people were asking, "Do you have any regrets? What would you have done different?" that sort of thing. When it got to me I answered, "I wish I had been nicer". It made the whole group go quiet, and someone said, "I never heard that one before". Well, its true. I wish I had smiled more, said please and thank-you more. Been more patient. Said only positive and uplifting things. Stayed quiet when it didn't matter. Been kinder to others. Over a lifetime this is hard to do, every day. Today, I practice, in years past, not so much. If people were not nice on this board, I would be elsewhere.....But here I stay....thanks, friends, for being so nice......Jane
Old 01-16-2017, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

If any members feel that comments are not as nice as we like them to be here, please let us know. We cannot read every post on every thread. You can simply click on the triangle with exclamation point at the bottom of each post. Let us know what you think is not right. It goes out to all of the moderators so it can be handled quickly. It is completely anonymous. We appreciate the extra eyes to help keep this forum a pleasant place to visit. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2017, 02:39 PM

Thanks, Nancy. I appreciate the great job you do as a moderator to make this a pleasant site to visit.

I have left other boards also, but I always feel safe here.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:15 PM

I appreciate the kindness that everyone whom I have had on this Board, have given me. They have gone out of their way to be helpful and upbeat! Thanks.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:35 PM

The administration of this board has been very good. When I started there were several people that were very snarky and they were run off. It was rather surprising that someone would be that way but they were. Since I was young I have had very little trouble standing up to bullies, but I was like the rest of you, this should be a safe place, why would anyone feel the need to make mean/nasty comments.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:40 PM

I appreciate this forum because I believe it is a safe and comforting place to spend a few (or several) minutes at the end of a long hard day. It relaxes me to look at all of the wonderful sewing projects and to read the nice supportive comments. My DH is in the close to the end stage of a long battle with cancer and I am his number one caregiver. One hard part of the day is because of the three strokes I've had. So anyway, here is where I come for a peaceful few moments to relax from the stress of the day. Thank you all for making this a safe place I can count on nightly.