Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A baby quilt and I am frustrated--need suggestions. >

A baby quilt and I am frustrated--need suggestions.

A baby quilt and I am frustrated--need suggestions.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:45 AM

What a cute quilt. I love it.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:53 PM

Try blocking the quilt before you do anything else. You might succeed in making it straight without having to remove the binding. Just pin it to a carpet, measure, dampen, and allow to dry in place, making sure the edges are square.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:53 PM

Thanks for sharing your adorable baby quilt!
Old 01-23-2017, 11:16 PM

You know what, your imperfections just remind you, you are not perfect, so don't worry about it. I bet that great nephew won't complain at all. Don't beat yourself up.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:35 AM

What an absolutely adorable quilt!! And I agree with others, wash it and gift it. Remember we are more critical of our work than anyone else. Also ask yourself.....is your nephew gonna hang it on the wall, or is he gonna wrap himself up in it? That slight waviness will never show when he is snuggled up in it.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by junebug987 View Post
When you measured your quilt for binding did you measure in the center of the quilt? If not sometimes your binding will not fit correctly and can become wavy. I would take binding off re square the quilt, measure center of quilt, horizontally and vertically and reapply binding. I don't why this works but it does. Or do what I tell my great granddaughter. it is a creative design element not a boo boo.
Design element. This is what I would do. I can guarantee it will not bother the lucky baby that receives this cutie.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:59 AM

I think it's beautiful and no one will even notice the slight wave; I only noticed because you pointed it out.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
Try blocking the quilt before you do anything else. You might succeed in making it straight without having to remove the binding. Just pin it to a carpet, measure, dampen, and allow to dry in place, making sure the edges are square.
I've never blocked a quilt and wondered if the quilt is machine washed and dried later wouldn't it just revert back?
Old 01-26-2017, 03:09 AM

I had the same problem with a Bargello I just finished....came out of square with all the dense quilting and once I'd put the binding on, to me it was screamingly obvious. I winced and winced at it for days and it didn't improve with the "finished and washed" wash. I made the quilt for the bed in our new caravan (do you call them trailers over there?) and now that it's been on the bed and travelled with us for a few trips I just love it regardless and don't notice its wobbliness anymore.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:35 AM

The quilt is adorable!! I might not touch it.

But - if I were to do anything with it - this is what I would probably do. When I have had this problem and want to fix it, I run a straight stitch down the edge just inside the seam allowance before I put on the binding (sometimes just the stitch alone is enough to ease in the wave). I use a stitch just a tiny bit longer than what I would usually use and loosen the tension just a bit as well. I then measure the center on the quilt and tug on one of my stitch threads (usually it will be the bottom thread) essentially "gathering" in the edge but not tightly enough to have any real gathers or pleats. It is kind of like setting in a sleeve - all you want is to ease in the extra fabric. I have also used this method if I have an unruly block that is just a bit off and I need something in it to match up perfectly to another block.