Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Used wrong Marker on quilt top >

Used wrong Marker on quilt top

Used wrong Marker on quilt top

Old 02-01-2017, 02:20 PM

Default Used wrong Marker on quilt top

Help!! I am depending on all you smart quilters to help me out. I accidently grabbed a blue marker instead of my blue washout marking pen and I started to mark a design on my quilt top. I am so mad at myself!! Any great ideas how I can get the marked design out?
Old 02-01-2017, 02:37 PM

Hi! If you have access to a JoAnn's Craft store - one product that I've had great success with is called StāzOn (All Purpose Cleaner). It's sold in the rubber stamp isle, in with the (rubber stamp) ink pads. But, make sure you get this exact brand.!

Good Luck!!

Elle

P.S. Be sure to test it on a scrap piece of fabric first, just in case.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Try drenching with a cheap hairspray, if it lifts wash immediately by hand and see if its gone. If some still lingers do it again - first blotting out as much water as possible. Its woks on ballpoint ink.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:47 PM

MINNESEWTOGETHER. I am also from MN-from Grantie Falls- so my closest JoAnns is at Willmar (45 minutes away). I have not heard of that product you mentioned. I think I will try the hairspray idea that Joyce 888 mentioned.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by aborning View Post
MINNESEWTOGETHER. I am also from MN-from Grantie Falls- so my closest JoAnns is at Willmar (45 minutes away). I have not heard of that product you mentioned. I think I will try the hairspray idea that Joyce 888 mentioned.
Sounds good ... I'll keep my fingers crossed.! Good Luck!!
Please, let us know how it turns out!!

The StāzOn cleaner gets permanent maker off/out of anything ... it has for me, anyway. It has a really long shelf life, too. I'd recommend picking some up - the next time you get in to your JoAnn's store.

Always nice to hear from a fellow Minnesotan!!

Best wishes,

Elle
Old 02-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

I would try this also and put a towel under the fabric to absorb the ink and hairspray. Cheapest hairspray is the best. Do Not Use a Scented spray! Good luck!![QUOTE=joyce888;7754790]Try drenching with a cheap hairspray, if it lifts wash immediately by hand and see if its gone. If some still lingers do it again
Old 02-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Before using any method on a quilt, use fabric scraps and try cleaning products there first. Depending on the marker, you may need to try several things and you don't want to ruin the quilt before you find the right one.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Before using any method on a quilt, use fabric scraps and try cleaning products there first. Depending on the marker, you may need to try several things and you don't want to ruin the quilt before you find the right one.
I wish there was a like button... I agree 100% with this statement. Test on scraps before all else.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:25 PM

Thanks for telling me about the StazOn product. I will definitely be getting some.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:15 PM

I've never tried it for ink, although I've gotten tons of other stains out this way.

Boil water in your kettle. Lay the fabric over a bowl or sink. Then holding the kettle up high over the fabric, SLOWLY pour water onto it (watch you don't splash yourself). By pouring slowly from up high, the water hits the fabric harder and seems to literally knock out the stain. This even worked on a dark wine stain in carpeting.

As the others have said, try a scrap first to see if it does the job.

Best of luck.