Downsizing indecision....

Old 02-01-2017, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

As for the treadle, I have two, a Red Eye and a Singer 15-88. By far the Singer 15-88 is my prefered choice for quilting.http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...a-t161482.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2870 (Custom).JPG
Views:	263
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	567258  

Last edited by Annaquilts; 02-01-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:49 PM

I'd keep the 201, the 221, and the third would be a toss up between the Tingler and one of the Elnas.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:55 PM

What a choice to have to make! If it was me, I would probably keep the 411G (it's a great, versatile machine) and the Grasshopper (cute and portable). I would get rid of the 221 (strong resale value, and not needed if you have the Grasshopper), and the 128 (Grandma indoctrinated me against long-bobbin machines). Then it gets harder to decide... I would probably choose the third based on looks, so I would probably keep the 201, but either the Brother Tingler or one of the clones would make more sense for most people on that basis. I just really like the look of the 201.

I'm looking for a treadle for the same reason - power outages. Unfortunately, long-bobbin machines were popular on the prairies much later than in the rest of the world, so it's hard to find a round-bobbin treadle. The search is part of the fun, though!
Old 02-01-2017, 05:28 PM

My treadle is a Damascus and it belonged to my Great-Aunt May. Before it was given to me I was looking at various treadles because I wanted to sew with it. This was before the internet but I wanted to have a pretty piece and I wanted to be able to use it. So I was looking for one with the book, any attachments and I could test. When I told my grandmother I was looking she asked me why I would want to buy one when she had 2 of them. Luckily for me, my family has always been the type to never throw anything away so the book for the Damascus was still there along with a few attachments. (It's from 1925.) She also had a Singer, which is quite a bit older, but no book and had been used by a neighbor from time to time to sew leather items.

As for letting other machines go - wow, that's a hard one. I had three 221's and thought it was a waste, so gave one to my sister and the other to my niece. (They sew and neither of my DD's sew.) Hopefully you can gift them to someone that will love and take care of them as you have.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Twilliebee View Post
....and curiosity, too. I have a few vintage machines right now: Singer 201-3, 411G, 401, 221 and 128, Elna Grasshopper and Supermatic, pink and purple Brother Tingler, and 3 Japanese clones because they're just beautiful. After all the power outages this winter I'm putting some real effort into finding a treadle. So my question is, if you could keep a maximum of 3 machines what would you pick? Also, does someone have a favorite treadle for FMQ or for piecing? Favorite electric? Thanks everyone. This feels like an impossible decision!
Oh keep them ALL. You already have them, you hopefully use them. Why get rid of something you might want down the road. I have a 1910 Singer Redeye Treadle. Sylvie sews beautiful stitches. Found her on Craigslist for $200 which wasn't bad for my area. She was locked up tighter than a drum but I just started oiling the heck out of her and she was running in a couple of weeks. I sew on her all the time. There is probably a photo of her in My Machines in my albums.

Keep and just ADD the treadle.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:19 AM

LovelyL, I'm drooling right now, as I'd love to have that treadle machine but WA State is a bit far!
Old 02-03-2017, 06:43 PM

Hmmm. My friend says she is thinking of getting a vintage machine and wants to know which I would pick if I could only have ONE! Who would want to only have one? Three seems more reasonable.
I have been wishing for a 411 because it has good zigzag and is treadleable. But really, many vintage Zigzaggers can be treadled from what I've read. I highly recommend timquilts.com and his YouTube videos for free motion quilting on various treadle machines. He says a lot in his commentaries about the issues with different machines and why he is using the darning foot for each project he is demostrated. He seems to be mostly FMQ on his singer 66 treadles lately. I bought my White Family Rotary treadle ($40) for the big harp space (9+ inches) and I love the smooth balance of how it sews, but can't get top clamping darning foot. Tim has demonstrated using his WFR for free motion with several different work arounds, but I haven't tried them yet.
The Singer 15 is spoken well of, but the 66 has a larger harp size and there are many different darning/free motion feet that will fit either machine. I had a Standard Rotary treadle that was beautiful, but smaller ($55). Same issue with feet as my White. I gave her to my sister who was fired up by my treadle talk. I am still watching for a singer treadle base to put one of my 66s in. It is too much of a pain to try to jury rig a way to drop a singer into the bigger cut out on a white. I didn't check CL last weekend and missed a nice singer treadle for $25. There are so many treadle machines in SoCal craigslist, I can afford to wait for the cheaper ones;-)